Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro stuck on spinning grey apple on startup

I have a Mac Pro that is stuck at the grey startup screen. Grey apple, spinning wheel. I let it spin for about half an hour and then went on to try other things. Every attempt still leaves me stuck at the spinning grey wheel.

So far I have tried:

Shut down, disconnected all cables, restarted with nothing connected. No change.

Reset PRAM to 3 chimes. No change.

Opened machine, removed RAM (3 1GB sticks) and HDs (2 1TB drives), replaced them. No change.

Tried booting from Mac Pro original CD. Nope.

Tried booting from Snow Leopard install CD. Nada.

Tried booting from Applications CD - was able to run Apple Hardware Test - no problems found.

Any ideas? The Mac is a Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-core Xeon. Normally runs like a champ.

various, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 8:25 AM

20 replies

Apr 4, 2012 9:41 AM in response to sadowskiii

So where is your OS X DVD?

Install OS X on a new drive and update to 10.5.8 or 10.6.8.

This must be Early 2008 with OEM ATI 2600XT if you are running 10.5.6

Boot from the new drive or even the DVD and see if it can fix and repair the directory.

Invest in 3rd party program to clone or use Carbon Copy Cloner

you can possibly import your files and apps from the old system once you have a functioning new boot drive.

Apr 4, 2012 12:24 PM in response to sadowskiii

The disk utility didn't find any problems with the drives. I rebooted and got the grey apple, without a spinning wheel this time. Let it sit. It rebooted itself after about 20 minutes, came up with the grey apple again, then rebooted itself after 20 minutes. Back to the grey apple.

Now I am starting up in Verbose mode... just going incredibly slow. It will display a few lines of text then pause for 5-10 minutes, then a few more lines of text. Not sure if it is locked up.

Does this sound like an internal hardware problem at this point? Motherboard?

Apr 4, 2012 12:59 PM in response to sadowskiii

You said you booted the AHT disk with no problems and no problems were found so that is a point against it being a hardware problem (just 1 point, not totally conclusive).

Have you done the usual smc and pram resets?

Blown all the dust out?

Reseated all the pci cards?

If you can get booted again run rember (a GUI on top of memtest) to check memory with it. It has some checks AHT doesn't have.

If you have a backup of your boot drive it wouldn't hurt to remove the current boot drive and use the backup as a test.

Apr 4, 2012 1:21 PM in response to X423424X

My Opinion about Mac Pro and memory testing:

While testing the memory is a very good idea on "regular" computers, the Mac Pro is special. It uses Error Correcting Code (ECC) memories, unless you have deliberatley defeated that feature.

Single-bit errors are corrected by Hardware "on-the-fly" without substantial slowdowns, and uncorrectable double-bit errors are intended to cause a Kernel Panic. Unless you are trying to isolate a known memory problem, running memory tests on a Mac Pro is unlikley to yield any results at all.

Apr 4, 2012 1:47 PM in response to X423424X

Parity errors are / will show up - if you look.

AHT only looks for issues like parity error. And parity errors cause "garbage" in and out and bad data.

OS X I am finding on Boot Camp forum will "miss" where RAM is not seated properly or is even such that it FAIL a memtest run.

IBM has their Chipkill ECC - a mere 10x more costly than what us mere mortals use.

We have had people, no memory 'errors" but that had real weird system symptoms and problems that went away when the RAM was replaced. But not obvious in any way.

So I go for the "trust but verify" with anything, whether bad blocks or whether the video card is seated properly.

Mac Pro stuck on spinning grey apple on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.