Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does it mean when text is underlined in blue

Thanks

iphone

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 11:03 AM

Come on Apple! Tell us how to turn this off! This has been the most annoying thing about dictating a text that I have had with the phone so far.

16 replies

Aug 7, 2014 1:38 AM in response to dukinn

The blue underlined text is a grammar correction to give you suggestions. For example, if you make a sentence without enough, punctuation marks, then, the blue line will Appear, to suggest that you should put some punctuation in there - it is not a spell check.

However, I would like to add that it is completely useless and in fact very bothersome. Reason being, that, when you try to tap on the blue underlined word, to edit, the blue underlined word will select any text EXCEPT the blue underlined word. It is very difficult to click after the word, to put a comma or other punctuation mark, it will select the whole word, and make you delete it.

Sometimes, you know that it needs punctuation, but you don't want to put it, or you just want to change the last letter of the word. But the blue underlined text won't let you edit one single letter, it makes you have to redo the whole word, and so it's a very bothersome function which is useless to anybody.

Nov 17, 2015 12:04 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I understand except for when the suggestion is not correct, I cannot type in the correct spelling of a word. It misspells the word every time.

Is there any way to help it with the spelling of words? For instance, a drug that my dog takes is called Cerenia, Dictation spells it Serrania.

Shouldn't I be able to correct that so it won't continually miss spell the word?

Thanks Meg

Jan 8, 2016 3:25 PM in response to dukinn

I've used voice texting for some time. Lately, instead of one or a couple of "questionable" words being underlined in blue, my entire message is often underlined, even though it seems grammatically correct. Trying to fix one word is frustrating -- while tapping where I want the fix, the entire message is highlighted with options only to cut, copy, etc. Anyone else seeing this? Any fixes? Thanks.

Aug 7, 2014 1:39 AM in response to dukinn

It might be if you were writing something and you spelt it wrong, it auto-corrects and to show that it auto-correct, it shows a blue underline, I use Keynote and that happens. If it is a link than it would be blue but it will be a hyperlink. If it is auto-correct then it will be blue but a dotted line.

Nov 17, 2015 11:19 AM in response to dutch29

dutch29 wrote:

Come on Apple! Tell us how to turn this off! This has been the most annoying thing about dictating a text that I have had with the phone so far.

Things underlined in blue in speech to text messages are things that the phone isn't sure it got right. Tap on them and you'll see other options. Confirming that they're correct or correcting them will improve the accuracy of speech to text over time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.