Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to OS X 10.7, my removable hard disk cannot be detected and prompts me to eject or initialize.

I updated to OS X 10.7.3 and now it says that my removable 2TB hard disk which is less than 6 months old and seems to be in good condition cannot be detected. On Time Machine is says that the back up drive is not available too.

Please help as all my photos and time machine backups are on that disk.

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 9:47 AM

What good is a backup, if there is only one copy of it? Always keep at least two copies of your data at all times. You just finished stating all your photos are on the external drive. That's not a backup. Hard drives may need an updated firmware to be able to attach to a machine with a newer operating system. Hard drives may not be able to stay connected while the operating system is being updated, because their firmware isn't up to date enough. Read what I have to say about data recovery here:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1689

Also, lastly, are you running Mac OS X 10.7 server or client? The forum you posted to is "client". If you meant to get answers to Server version, I can ask a moderator redirect this thread, since I don't know much about the "Server" edition. The reason I think you might mean server, is that you picked up HT5049 in your subject line which is about the "Server" edition of Lion.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2012 9:47 AM in response to jessemyne

What good is a backup, if there is only one copy of it? Always keep at least two copies of your data at all times. You just finished stating all your photos are on the external drive. That's not a backup. Hard drives may need an updated firmware to be able to attach to a machine with a newer operating system. Hard drives may not be able to stay connected while the operating system is being updated, because their firmware isn't up to date enough. Read what I have to say about data recovery here:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1689

Also, lastly, are you running Mac OS X 10.7 server or client? The forum you posted to is "client". If you meant to get answers to Server version, I can ask a moderator redirect this thread, since I don't know much about the "Server" edition. The reason I think you might mean server, is that you picked up HT5049 in your subject line which is about the "Server" edition of Lion.

Apr 4, 2012 10:20 AM in response to a brody

Hello Brody,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The backup is for time machine. The photos are the only copy that's why I'm upset about it.

I'm running OS X 10.7.3 (11D50b) which should be client).. no idea what it picked up since this is the first time I'm using this community help.

I'll try out your link tomorrow and let you know if it works.

After upgrading to OS X 10.7, my removable hard disk cannot be detected and prompts me to eject or initialize.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.