Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Aperture as a data-base? Meaning I would like to access it on multiple desktops.

I am working on projects with one other person and we would like to see the updates from one another. In preference we'd like to share the same data base. However we do in fact have our own seperate copies of the program.

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 10:44 AM

3 replies

Apr 4, 2012 10:52 AM in response to jessicadurant

Hi jessicadurant,

Aperture is a single user program, and the database is not designed as a multi-user database. If you put the database on a drive with the "ignore ownership on this volume" flag set, you will be able to use the database from different user accounts, but only mutually exclusive, and not by remote access over a network.

The Aperture database needs to be on a local volume, sorry.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 4, 2012 11:43 AM in response to jessicadurant

If you aren't working simultaneously it is possibe to export a project as a library and then import it into the 2nd computer. You can include the master files in the library using a checkbox in the export library dialog. Otherwise you need to relocate referecned files when you move back and forth. The other issue is that if you do edits with photoshop or plugins that generate tiffs those need to be transferred as well. Probably they would be included as master files. You can check. I don't know if the aplibrary can be on a network attached storage drive. You could try that. Still, only one person can work on the library at a time. If you put it on an external drive along with the master files, sneaker net would be one way to share. i can't imagine that the library could be opened on two computers at once, and if it could would be very worried that the database would become corrupted.

Can I use Aperture as a data-base? Meaning I would like to access it on multiple desktops.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.