Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad won't connect to WiFi Router

Trying to set up a friend's new iPad (generation 3). In Settings-->WiFi, the iPad sees the router but does not allow it to be selected. I'd appreciate any clues to this dilemma, thanks!

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 10:36 AM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2012 11:35 AM in response to Gary P

If you have set up yOur iPad but it will not connect to your Wi-Fi network and go to the Internet, I think Coppertiger's suggestion will not help.

The first thing I might do to narrow down the problem is to go somewhere that you know has good Wi-Fi available. Your library, Starbucks, etc. Does the iPad connect there OK? If so you know the problem is in the router at home.

Here are some thoughts:

1. Check with the router manufacturer to see if there is a firmwarer update. If there is download it and install it. Then try to connect again.

2. You might change the routers security settings to something different. Maybe even turn off the need for a password to see if connection happens. If it does try a different security level.

3. What is the network name? If it is the same as the router manufacturer change it to something unique. It's amazing ow many Linksys Wi-Fi networks are out there. A nearby network with the same name could be causing problems.

4. Go to Settings> Wi-Fi > select your network name > then tap Forget this network. Then try to connect again.

5. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset all Networks. Then reboot your iPad. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously ignoring the red slider until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the iPad restart. See if that fixes your problem.

New iPad won't connect to WiFi Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.