Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nickname Field listed in TO field of Apple Mail. Why?

If you have a contact in Addressbook (AB) with a nickname, if you also use Apple Mail (AM) and create a new email and start to type the contact's email in the TO field, AM will finish your typing giving you a list of related possible email addresses to choose from.

The problem is that in addition to the email addressk AM adds the contact's nickname as opposed to it's firstname/lastname or even business name. We need a preference for this, per contact.

Example:

In AB you have a contact:

Name: Jon Doe

Company Doe Company

Nickname: The Doester

email: jon.doe@doecompany.com

In AM you start to write an email:

and type: "jon" and AM shows you a list of possible related emails one of which will be:

"The Doester" <jon.doe@doecompany.com>

Commentary: now if a casual email to a friend, this is OK. But what if this is a business oriented email and "The Doester" isn't appropriate? You can only stop the inclusion of "The Doester" by deleting it from the Nickname field in the AB. This is presumptuous on Apple's part, or a bug, that the Nickname should trump the first/lastname or company name.

I don't exactly know the answser to this. If we could easily choose which name to append in front of the email address (firstname/lastname, company name or nickname) that would be cool. Or maybe no name gets added if it has to be: all or nothing from a programming point of view.

But having nickname as the primary, if it exists, can be a problem in certain correspondence IMHO.

I've sent this to Feedback and hope they hear me and respond.

Best,

Name: Steven

Nickname: Shmerls
Company: Sasnet Design

😀

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz Quad-Core, iPad WiFi/3G, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 30" HP Display, 22" Cinema Display

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:14 AM

As far as I know, this nickname doesn't appear in the email the recipient receives. You can try and create a bogus contact with one of your own email addresses, and send a message to it/him (her?). You'll only see the email address when placing your pointer on the "You" caption in the "To..." field.

But then, I don't give nicknames to my contacts... 😁

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2012 11:14 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

As far as I know, this nickname doesn't appear in the email the recipient receives. You can try and create a bogus contact with one of your own email addresses, and send a message to it/him (her?). You'll only see the email address when placing your pointer on the "You" caption in the "To..." field.

But then, I don't give nicknames to my contacts... 😁

Apr 4, 2012 2:48 PM in response to FrenchToast

My tests review: if you have a first and last name and nickname, when you create an email, the nickname will show and you are right, the nickname only is seen by the sender.

BUT.. if you only have a nickname and no first or lastname, the nickname text does transfer to the recipient.

Thanks for getting me to test and try this.

Best,

Steven

Jul 15, 2013 12:39 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

This is kinda my problem. I have a nickname appearing next to my return emails. It says "Sexy" which i was mortified about until i realised nobody else can see that only me. I have no idea how this name arrived and i cant find how to delete it. Its not in my address book or in contacts, have no idea. My kids and I played around with Siri awhile back and were saying things like "am i sexy" and the like which was hilarious but this is the only thing I can think of. Checked mail in Iphone and work computers. Cant find it anywhere. My email replies come in as

"John Smith "sexy " " any ideas?

Aug 23, 2013 4:49 PM in response to Cam9876

Cam. I finally figured out how to get rid of it (my nickname was nowhere near as fun as "Sexy"). Go to the Address Book and check your contact info. If it doesn't show up as part of your contact (it didn't in my case), do a search in your contacts for "Sexy" (or whatever the nickname maybe) and it should find it. It wil show up in a field right under your name. Select the "edit" option and you can delete it.

Good luck,

-Nick

Nickname Field listed in TO field of Apple Mail. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.