Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings Shortcuts? Do they exist?

Anyone know if these exist anywhere? Any apps? No luck finding anything of the sort. Basically I'm talking about the ability to create an icon on your screen which takes you directly to a settings function like Bluetooth, wifi, brightness etc. the ones I had (http://brdrck.me/settings/) no longer work since I updated to ios5.1 (thanks to apple tweaking the URL scheme in the update to disallow such things). Considering trying to downgrade to ios5. I feel like the phone is useless now (at the very least it's back to being the pain it always was in regards to settings adjustments) with my non working BT, wifi, brightness, iCloud shortcuts! Seriously, these were the best thing about the operating system and now they no longer work. Thanks control freaks at apple!

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:58 AM

No, there are no other settings shortcuts. For reasons known only to Apple, they were deemed to violate the SDK rules.

DO NOT HACK THE PHONE TO DOWNGRADE THE iOS. You will end up with a mismatch of the iOS and modem baseband versions, leading to more problems and a good chance you will NEVER be able to update or restore a stock iOS again.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2012 11:58 AM in response to 124sport

No, there are no other settings shortcuts. For reasons known only to Apple, they were deemed to violate the SDK rules.

DO NOT HACK THE PHONE TO DOWNGRADE THE iOS. You will end up with a mismatch of the iOS and modem baseband versions, leading to more problems and a good chance you will NEVER be able to update or restore a stock iOS again.

Apr 4, 2012 12:36 PM in response to modular747

Wow. Thanks so much for that advice. Doing the downgrade is a bit over my head anyhow so I'll definitely not do it. I just wish to god apple would make this part of the os. It really is handy. And j think android allows this sort of shortcut. I'd never switch but it's baffling that they don't. It's such a pain to go through the settings panel. From a sleeping iPhone, it takes SIX actions to turn on BT (including waking tge phone and sliding on). Pita! Thanks again.

Apr 4, 2012 12:53 PM in response to 124sport

You're welcome.

There's no reason to have to go to settings to turn on BT after the initial setup with the connecting device. Leaving BT "on" (standby) all the time draws negligible current and it will connect automatically when needed. It's rare to have to open settings after setup except when having problems. I installed those shortcut for a while and found them to just home screen clutter and a nuisance.

Apr 4, 2012 1:13 PM in response to modular747

I dunno. I think I get better battery life with BT off (pretty sure iPhone is always "searching" for a BT device to connect to even if it is already associated with an earpiece. And not sure I want any extra "waves/signals" floating around me if not necessary. I know BT is regarded as "safe" but I have read some stuff about BT signals perhaps not being totally harmless....not that it's the same thing to be on a BT call and merely having the phone idle. But I digress....). And I think it helps battery life to have wifi off when not connected. Not that I'm having major battery life issues...certainly not on this 4S unlike my ailing aging 3GS was when I discovered the shortcuts. I know I've posted about this before and maybe you've commented there too. Again thanks for the advice on the downgrade.

Settings Shortcuts? Do they exist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.