Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does consolidate my aperture library mean or do?

I see mention of "Consolidating Library" and I wonder if this would do what I want it to do. I just imported my iPhoto Library, and I want to now have them totally in Aperture's Library, which is on my external portable drive, not referenced in the database. I would then delete my iPhoto library, seeing that everything would be in the Aperture library. Is that what consolidating library means?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.4 i5, 4Gb DDR3, 500Gb

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 3:06 PM

9 replies

Apr 4, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Canam Carlo

Yes, consolidating means that all referenced master image files will be included into the Aperture library - moved to the library or copied, depending on your setting.

Before you delete your iPhoto LIbrary make a backup of it and keep it, until you are sure, that the transfer went well. Sometimes you notice only later that some images are missing or tag and captions, and then it will be good to have the backup of the original library.

Apr 4, 2012 3:27 PM in response to Canam Carlo

When you consolidate your masters you move them into the Aperture library, that is convert them from referenced masters to managed masters.

When you imported your iPhoto library into Aperture what did you tell Aperture to do with the masters, leave them where they were, put them in the Aperture library or move them someplace else?

If you left the masters in the iPhoto library when you imported them into Aperture then you would use Consolidate masters to move them into the Aperture library.

You should not delete your iPhoto library until you are positive the Aperture library is working correctly and all your images are in there. And even then you would be better off archiving the iPhoto library just in case.

Aug 14, 2012 11:47 AM in response to léonie

I have a related follow up question.

I've now (somewhat) successfully imported my Aperture library into a new Aperture library on my 240 GB SSD on my laptop.

My referenced iPhoto library exists on an internal 2nd hard drive.

Finder says iPhoto Library is 141 GB on disk. I only have 92 GB free on my SSD. Masters folder inside package is 96 GB on disk.

Is there a way for me to use Consolidate Masters, or something like that, to effectively recapture the 49 GB of bloat in the iPhoto library package, and keep the 92 GB of iPhoto master images on that same drive and referenced in new Aperture library?

Or do I need to move Aperture library to internal 2nd hard drive and use Consolidate Masters?

Ultimate goal is to have Aperture library file on SSD for speed, and I suppose just reference images off of 2nd internal HD.

Make sense? What would you do if you were me?

Aug 14, 2012 12:27 PM in response to giordajl

Make sense? What would you do if you were me?

I am not sure about your library situation and what you want to achieve.

You may wish to start a new thread with your question, so that more of the regular posters will see your question.

A few things to note:

My referenced iPhoto library exists on an internal 2nd hard drive.

You say your iPhoto library is referenced - then I would not try to move the library. Unlike Aperture, iPhoto has no built in commands to reconnect missing master image files. Leave it better alone.

If your Masters folder inside the iPhoto library is 92 GB, then a large part of the iPhoto library cannot be referenced, otherwise the Masters folder should be empty. The other 49 GB probably are your edited versions, thumbnails, the iPod photo Cache - a large part of this probably is necessary.

What is it that you want to achieve? Move your iPhoto library also to the SSD? Don't fill you SSD completely - that will slow the system down for sure. Keep 20% of your SSD free.

Do you want to keep separate iPhoto and Aperture libraries? To give advice on moving the iPhoto library we also would need to know your MacOS version and the versions of Aperture and iPhoto.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 14, 2012 12:41 PM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie!

Seems to me that there is no reason for me to keep a separate iPhoto library any longer. Is there any argument for keeping a separate iPhoto library that is referenced by Aperture? Better to consolidate, no?

So, I think that I should:

1. Use Consolidate Masters to move iPhoto library into Aperture library.

2. Then use Relocate Masters to effectively keep my Aperture library file on my SSD, but keep the master images on my internal 2nd hard drive

I have 10.7.4 OSX and latest Aperture and iPhoto.

Aug 14, 2012 2:11 PM in response to giordajl

I have 10.7.4 OSX and latest Aperture and iPhoto.

With that setup you do no longer need a separate iPhoto Library, unless you have iPhoto Books that you want to keep. You will be able to open your Aperture library with iPhoto. Back up the iPhoto Library, if you have not already done so.

Then you can consolidate the originals, that are referenced inside the iPhoto Library, or better, relocate them directly to a folder outside the iPhoto Library on your second internal drive, since the Masters folder inside the iPhoto Library is larger than the free space on your SSD; assuming you want to have your Aperture library reference the originals/masters on your second internal volume.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 14, 2012 2:21 PM in response to léonie

1. It isn't essential that I keep the iPhoto Books, but would be nice. Anyway to archive and still zap iPhoto library?

2. This confused me:

leonieDF wrote:

Then you can consolidate the originals, that are referenced inside the iPhoto Library, or better, relocate them directly to a folder outside the iPhoto Library on your second internal drive, since the Masters folder inside the iPhoto Library is larger than the free space on your SSD; assuming you want to have your Aperture library reference the originals/masters on your second internal volume.

My current set up is Aperture library references photos inside iPhoto library.

Are you suggesting better to:

1. Leave Aperture managing portion of photos as it currently does, on SSD, and simply move Masters folder from iPhoto library using Finder to a different location, and then reconnect them as referenced?

Is that better than what I suggested above?

1. Use Consolidate Masters to move currently referenced iPhoto library images into a managed Aperture library.

2. Then use Relocate Masters to effectively keep my Aperture library file on my SSD, but keep the master images referenced on my internal 2nd hard drive

???

Thanks for patience, sorry if I'm not understanding your suggestion! Thanks!

Aug 14, 2012 10:05 PM in response to giordajl

OK. Feeling OK about where I am now.

On my 1TB secondary internal drive, I now have a fully managed Aperture library weighing in at 139 GB on disk. (As well as a leftover shell of iPhoto library measuring 43 GB on disk; any reason to keep this?)

So now for step #2!

How do I effectively get my Aperture library back over to my SSD for speed, but leave the images referenced on the 1TB drive?

Is this even worth it for speed? Seems like it would be?

p.s. I did the repair and rebuild just to be safe, and all seems good with consolidated, managed Aperture library. Only 20 "missing" "referenced" images, and all are 2 stars or below...so I'm ignoring.

Aug 14, 2012 10:13 PM in response to giordajl

Are you suggesting better to:

1. Leave Aperture managing portion of photos as it currently does, on SSD, and simply move Masters folder from iPhoto library using Finder to a different location, and then reconnect them as referenced?

Is that better than what I suggested above?

No, I meant something different: Do not move the iPhoto "Masters" folder yourself- let Aperture dog it.

You have two ways to get the referenced masters from iPhoto using Aperture:

1. Consolidate Originals
  2. Relocate Originals

Consolidate will move them into the Aperture library as managed - but since your SSD where the Aperture library resides is getting filled up, I suggested to "Relocate Originals". This will move them to a folder of your choice (on the second internal volume).

What does consolidate my aperture library mean or do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.