Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't open pdfs from web links.

I am running Mac OS v 10.5.8 and it suddenly stopped displaying PDFs that are opened via web links. All I see is a grey screen with the file title.pdf at the top, no error message. Has anyone experienced this or aware of a fix? Soooooo frustrating.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 8:48 PM

19 replies

Apr 6, 2012 12:39 AM in response to Altablooms

you probably have updated Safari lately.

Safari should be able to open the pdf webpage on it's own.

What helps most of the time is throwing out the Adobe pdf plugin if it is there.

Quit Safari (from the menu),

Go to HDD/Library/Internet Plugins and move the Adobe pdf plugin to the desktop,

Go to Users/yourname/Library/Internet Plugins and move the Adobe pdf plugin (if it is there) to the desktop,

Start Safari.

If that solved your problem, delete the Adobe pdf plugin from the desktop to the Trash Bin, empty the Trash Bin.

May 5, 2012 7:49 AM in response to AlysiaST

before I found this thread, i found the plug in by typing into Spotlight: AdobePDF, because that is the name of the plug in.

Once Spotlight gives it's results you can select Show All at the top of the viewer pane, then select the one you are looking for and the path to find it is shown at the bottom of the finder window. Then you can open the folder that holds the plugin, select the plugin and move, copy or delete it. Your computer will likely ask for a password to execute the delete.

After I deleted the plugin and restarted Safari, PDF files open in the browser as they are supposed to by Preview (much preferred by me) rather than by adobe.

Good Luck!

Mac won't open pdfs from web links.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.