Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset Firmware Password? iMac, Lion, 10.7.3

User uploaded file

I forgot the Firmware Password, and want to reset it.

How can I do it?

No DVD included when I bought it.

All the startup keys, like C, N, T, D, CMD+s, CMD+Option+p+r, CMD +v, Option, and Shift, does NOT work.

To add or remove DIMMs does NOT work.

Please, give me some helpful answer.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 9:34 PM

33 replies

Apr 4, 2012 10:26 PM in response to Kappy

I removed 1 ram out of 4 pieces, not ALL the RAM...

I will try it, Removing All the RAM and waiting more than five minutes this evening.

(I'm at my work place now ^ㅁ^)

If it does not help, I'm gonna deassemble the iMac, and remove the battery

to reset the BIOS and assemble again.

(I don't know it will work, but I just don't want to visit service provider)

I will write about the result haha

Apr 4, 2012 11:18 PM in response to ResetFirmwarePassword

ResetFirmwarePassword wrote:

If it does not help, I'm gonna deassemble the iMac, and remove the battery

to reset the BIOS and assemble again.

Mac's don't have BIO's and there is no battery. Mac's are not generic PC's

You'll ruin the machine opening it up, Apple has placed a lot of trickbags inside that require education to open and put back just to prevent internal tampering.

Do all what Kappy says but I think you need to flush the PRAM and SMC too.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3046

Apr 5, 2012 12:24 AM in response to ds store

I saw this image last night. ( http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Intel-20-Inch-EMC-2266-Teardown/658/2 )

I thought it's for something like BIOS,

but now I see

"the iMac clock battery (190 mAh) stacks up with the 17" Unibody's behemoth"

User uploaded file

Maybe u r right, I will not be able to reset Firmware

even I remove this battery... ㅠㅠ

Also, the link https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3046 says

"Parameter RAM is a small area of non-volatile RAM"

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

But ㅠㅠ I'll try all that I can.

Thank you everyone.

Apr 5, 2012 5:41 AM in response to ResetFirmwarePassword

No DVD included when I bought it.

That sounds as if your computer was bought recently, and shipped with Lion. The previously effective "physical access" methods may no longer work on newer model Macs.

See this article from last year:

Firmware password security improved on new MacBook Air & Pro

which includes:

-------------

It's possible that as newer Macs are released, they too will have the enhanced security that Apple has provided to the current MacBook Air and Pro lines.

---------------------------

And from the recently updated support article mentioned earlier:

MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later, MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and later, iMac (Mid 2011) and later, Mac mini (Mid 2011): Recovering a lost firmware password

---------------------------

Only Apple retail stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers can unlock these computers protected by a firmware password.

--------------------------

Oct 5, 2012 4:56 AM in response to ResetFirmwarePassword

To fix the issue like this, the only recommendation I can give you is to make an appointment locally at an Apple Retail Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider and ask them if they can reset the firmware password.

This would be the only recommendation I can give out, you will have to go to an ACMT certified tech, unless you're ACMT Certified. If you are, then you should know how to do it using your resources 🙂

Feb 23, 2013 10:27 AM in response to ResetFirmwarePassword

I Believe that by now you already solved the problem, but I am just gonna post all the way.

You have never set up a Firmware password. It is there because you tried the iCloud feature "Find my mac" and tried to lock it remotely using OS X Mountain Lion. I did the same, and guess what. There was a bug recently, the bug caused the Lock my mac function to lock the firmware in your mac, not the actual mac itself. So it does not require password to start your mac as it should require, it requires password to make any changes on the firmware itself.

"The only way to disable the password is to take your mac to a Retail Store" they say, but if they can do it we can too. We just don't know how.

The password you need if you still don't know is that 4-digit password you set when you locked the mac remotely.

How to reset Firmware Password? iMac, Lion, 10.7.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.