Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it that, "The document “Untitled.numbers” could not be saved." ?

The new version of TextEdit (Version 1.7 (289.3)) can save files to our server shared folder (mini server, raid 1 array, 10.7.3) and save changes, Numbers can only save them the first time. After that

The document “Untitled.numbers” could not be saved.

Console errors like

4/5/12 12:31:53.096 AM [0x0-0x46e46e].com.apple.iWork.Numbers: [ERROR] genstore_client_managed.c:GSClientManagedStorageCreate:299 Path "/Users/Me/Library/Autosave Information/85144DE8-E041-4514-BADE-FA63ED0FA3AF.genstore.noindex" passed to GSLibraryCreateClientManaged does not exist or is not a directory.

4/5/12 12:31:53.096 AM Numbers: NSDocument could not create temporary version storage at file://localhost/Users/Me/Library/Autosave%20Information/85144DE8-E041-4514-BAD E-FA63ED0FA3AF.genstore.noindex. Here's the error:

Error Domain=GSLibraryErrorDomain Code=2 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (GSLibraryErrorDomain error 2 - The supplied path does not exist.)" UserInfo=0x3397cb0 {NSDescription=The supplied path does not exist.}

4/5/12 12:31:53.096 AM Numbers: NSFileVersion couldn't find the library for a file. URL: file://localhost/Volumes/Creek/Banking/Taxes/Taxes%202011/Untitled.numbers

Tried

Finder > (menu) Go > Go to Folder..., enter /Users/Me/Library/Autosave%20Information, got access denied

Finder > (menu) Go > Go to Folder..., enter /Users/Me/Library and select the Autosave Information folder (denied flagged folder) and add myself to the permissions list with Get Info, click lock, password, +, Me from Users and Groups, Select, and...

Now save works, but wait for much disk grinding

This computer went from 10.6.8 and jumped to 10.7.3 and I had to split the RAID 1 array it started on to get the installation to restart and complete. Hints from the installer that some features would not be available (autorecover drive) didn't hit it would leave a folder crucial to operation of Apple's own software inaccessible.

The path does exist, Panda.

Why was that folder not accessible except to system? and hidden in the normally hidden /Users/X/Library for fun? with a nearly useless error?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:49 PM

4 replies

Apr 5, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Darren Hatch

As far as I know, the AutoSave feature as it is treated by iWork apps is unable to work on networks.

You must work on the local machine then copy the document to the network.

I guess that this annoying feature will strike until the delivery of the lond waited major upgrade.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 5 avril 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.3

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

Why is it that, "The document “Untitled.numbers” could not be saved." ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.