Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro charging issues.

My 15 inch MacBook Pro, bought in November of 2011, will no longer charge via the 85w MagSafe power adapter. I plug it in and no green or amber light appears, and the brick on the PSU is cool to the touch, not slightly warm as usual. I have tried unplugging it to see if noise was the issue, and I have tried using both the two pronged AC adapter and the three pronged AC extension adapter, each with no success. I am going to see if I can borrow a buddies PSU tomorrow to make sure it is indeed the PSU that is the problem (which seems the most likely scenario), and supposing that it is, would Apple replace the PSU? I am not under warranty anymore as far as I know, but the PSU has no kind of physical damage, and 70+ dollars is really pricy to buy a new one..

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 2:01 AM

7 replies

Apr 5, 2012 2:36 AM in response to BoxWithADot

Unless you live in the EU*, the MBP is covered by a 1-year base warranty, so hightail it to the nearest Apple Store or Service Provider and have them work off the hard earned money you spent on the Mac. You can always check your service coverage using your serial number here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

*In EU, Apple just lost a case in court and is mandated to honor a 2-year base warranty.

Apr 5, 2012 11:40 AM in response to BoxWithADot

I went to the local authorized mac dealer earlier today, and ended up having a faulty charger. Unfortunately, since my MacBook is no longer under warranty I had to pay 85 dollars for a replacement. A tip to anyone in the future, wrapping the cord up around the little white tabs that are on the power adapter (the ones that flip open and closed) can cause the cord to become frayed on the inside. So if you do wrap it around, make sure to leave the wire a little loose to prevent this and increase the life of your PSU.

Apr 5, 2012 12:05 PM in response to BoxWithADot

Well, that is certainly cheaper than a new Mac... 😝

I've always hated those silly white tabs. From the first instant I saw them, imagined they were a devious way to ensure future PSU sales, especially with the proprietary and unobtainable plug at the end. 😠

With all my PSU, first thing I do is take off the "duck's head" (yet another devious device, meant to ensure the thing pops off the wall outlet and bangs on the floor), put the AC cord on and wrap the excess tightly around the edge of the PSU, leaving a gap where the thin cable exits. Then I wind a loop of the thin cable around the thick power cord and secure both with a velcro strip or two. That way, the thick cord shields and protects the thin cable, and keeps it from wiggling and fraying where it exits the PSU since it never moves. 5 PSUs from as many Macs and about 15 years later, never had a frayed cable.

Apr 5, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Courcoul

I'll have to try that! It just irritates me that Apple would include a mechanism that is supposed to be convenient, but will destroy the cable if you use it. They know that even if the PSU breaks, I have no choice but to shell out 80-90 dollars because if I don't my $2000 notebook turns into an expensive paperweight. I looked at some $30-40 third party adapters online, but a buddy of mine said that one he used overcharged his battery and caused it to swell, damaging his notebook.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro charging issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.