Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to extend my existing wireless network using (only) a Time Capsule ?

I have recently bought the 4th Generation TC that i plugged directly into my DSL through the WAN port of my TC by using an ethernet cable as instructions prompted me to do.

As soon as (the latest version of) Airport utility discovers my TC, i will have then 3 options:

Create a network

Replace an exisiting device

extend an exsiting network.

i would really appreciate some help in extending my existing Network using only my TC (without the need for another Airport extreme / or base station), especially that when i click the " extend" option it always goes back automatically to ' create" a new Network.

Does the TC alone really extend the range of a wireless network (through ethernet) and speeds up my connection? or should i use adifferent set-up.

Thanks;

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 4:10 AM

1 reply

Apr 5, 2012 12:01 PM in response to Apple-Lebanon

The "extend" option is only used when the Time Capsule is connecting using wireless only to another Apple router, so you would not use this setting given the information provided in your post. That's why AirPort Utility won't let you set things up this way.

The correct setting to extend and provide more coverage using an Ethernet connection is "Create a wireless network". It is critical that the following requirements are met:

Same wireless network name as your "main" network

Exact same wireless security settings as the main router

Same wireless network password

Bridge Mode operation

You may need to get into the setup of your main router to see exactly what type of wireless security is being used. If the TC does not receive exactly the same settings, the wireless network produced by the TC will act as if it were a separate network.....not an extension of your current network.

How to extend my existing wireless network using (only) a Time Capsule ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.