Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a mac program that will extract .pak files?

Hey Guys

I am looking for a way to extract a .pak file so I can edit some of the pictures/documents. I've look all over the place for a mac application to do this but I've had no luck. I really need to find one!

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 7:08 AM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2012 8:12 AM in response to g_wolfman

I'm also in search of ".pak" advice.

I've got a movie file from roughly '97 that bears that suffix. It was probably created by (old) Media 100 software and exported for playback on Macs that didn't have their software. In other words, it might be a variant of a Quicktime codec, but current QT won't open it.

What do you think, might it be worth my considerable effort to dig out and boot up an old system (running System 8.x or 9.x, for example) and see whether it'll fly?

Thanks in advance for any guidance…

Nov 29, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Morgonaut

That's totally different.

You have a Cinepak movie file. As far as I know, there is no Cinepak Codec for current versions of QuickTimeX. It may have been supported in QuickTime 7.6, which may still be available (certainly beter than trying to find a Classic system).

You may also be able to convert it to another format with video software based on FFMPEG.

Is there a mac program that will extract .pak files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.