Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still stream via AirPlay/iTunes if wired via ethernet?

I want to wire my AppleTV (third gen) to my Airport Extreme via Ethernet so that streaming from my MacBook Pro (which acts as media server) will stream faster. (The MacBook Pro is also wired to Airport Extreme via Ethernet.) Will I still be able to stream to my AppleTV via other MacBooks and/or iOS devices on my network that aren't hardwired to the Airport Extreme but access the same wifi network from my Airport Extreme?

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 8:06 AM

8 replies

Apr 5, 2012 12:33 PM in response to Sean Mcclafferty

Just in case, the title says AirPlay & WiFi, not Airport (WiFi) & Ethernet, they are ultimately 3 (or 4) diff things.

Due to the title & comments, Rudegar answered the WiFi & Airport compared to Ethernet connection question. Was this all you needed?

WiFi - Wireless internet access.

Airport - Wireless internet access using Apple Airport.

AirPlay - The Apple proprietary method of connecting your devices with your AppleTV.

Ethernet - A cable running from your AppleTV to either your router or modem.

iTunes - This works whether you have a WiFi (non-Apple router), WiFi (Airport) or Ethernet connection.

Apr 5, 2012 12:50 PM in response to elevatus

Actually the title says AirPlay and wired, not Wifi, but that's ok. 🙂

I understand completely the four different connections you mention, believe me. I'm just trying to understand if I can still stream to my AppleTV if I connect to the Ethernet port. Other posts have suggested that the wifi on AppleTV is turned off if Ethernet is connected. And I'm not clear if streaming thru iTunes/Airplay only happens through a wifi connection. Or if it really just works through your local network regardless of how the devices connect to it (Wifi, Ethernet, Airplay, etc.)

Apple doesn't explain this clearly -- rightfully so, since they want it to just work and not focus on the backend of HOW it works. But I'm unclear in this particular situation.

Apr 3, 2016 6:19 PM in response to Sean Mcclafferty

So Sean, did you connect from your MBP ethernet to the Airport Ext. (WAN) or (LAN) connection? and / or in reverse direction from the Apple TV to the Airport Extreme wan or lan? and did you have to manually set MBP Network settings and as well Apple TV settings manually?

my scenario - music videos from the MBP to Apple TV via Airport Extreme with video only and the audio lined out to a Mackie 14 channel (and Amp) to speakers aside the big screens... the video of course drags as you've probably seen...?

Still stream via AirPlay/iTunes if wired via ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.