Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get a Pages file back to its original format?

I added a document to dropbox and now I can't open the file. It tells me I need a newer version of Pages to open it. I have Pages '08, this file was created in Pages '08 and has never touched another version of Pages.

iMac/iPad

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 8:25 AM

7 replies

Apr 5, 2012 9:38 AM in response to Walt K

I appreciate your attempt, but you assume incorrectly. I have not yet given access to anyone else. The file was created in Pages '08, moved to the drop box folder (yes, I realize I should have copied it instead - hindsight is 20/20), has not been touched by another person or computer. I realized my mistake in moving the file instead of copying it and copied it back to its original folder. I now have two copies of the same file and both cannot be opened by Pages '08.

I will say this again since I did not make this clear enough the first time. This file has never been touched by any program other than Pages '08 and DropBox. Since I am the only one with access to it and have always been the only one with access, I am absolutely sure of that.

The assistance I need is to convert this file back to its original format if that is possible.

Apr 5, 2012 9:58 AM in response to Gypsy1274

Try to install the free trial iWork '09

Open your file with it then save it in Pages '08 format.

User uploaded file

You may also send the offending file to my mailbox (click my blue name to get my address).

I would try to understand what is wrong. If you decide to do that, pack the document as a zip archive because the iWork '08 format is often destroyed when traveling on the net.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 5 avril 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.3

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

Apr 5, 2012 10:36 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

If treating the doc with Pages '09 solved the problem, it's that the document was opened and saved at least once with Pages '09 before. There is no other way to change a Pages 08 format into a Pages 09 one.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 5 avril 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.3

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

Apr 5, 2012 11:10 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Good point. And since I am the only one who has access to it and I am absolutely sure I did not open this file in Pages '09 or on my iPad (which would also have created this problem) then there is a security problem with DropBox. Or a technical glitch because there really wasn't time for anyone to hack my account. Immediatly after moving the file to DropBox, I realized my mistake (that I no longer had a copy on my computer) and in less than a minute, copied the file back and attempted to open it. This all took place on my iMac and not my iPad.

How can I get a Pages file back to its original format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.