Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDuper kills only Crucial M4 SSDs or all the brands?

Today I have bought a Crucial M4 SSD 2,5 512GB to replace my MacBook Pro HD. I connect it with usb to sata cable to my Mac, format it and begin copying the data using SuperDuper. 5 minuts later I get an error, the drive is ejected and from that moment it has been impossible to mount, erase or repair.

Disk Utility shows the drive with the partition name blurred. If I click mount I get the "run first aid" dialog. First aid says the drive seems OK. If I try to format it another error and DiskWarrior reports a hardware failure. Searching the discussions I find it seems SuperDuper damages the lookup table or something similar. As it was not exactly my idea of quality paying as I paid 1 euro per Gyg, I have returned the SSD and got a refund. The question now is: are all the SSD drives so fragile or partially incompatible or there's one that I can use just exactly like a mechanical hard drive??? 😕

MBP 17, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4S, G4 Cube, iMac Intel

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 11:29 AM

3 replies

Apr 6, 2012 4:41 AM in response to ds store

I could accept that superduper crashed in a ssd drive but when a simple copy action makes the ssd drive totally unrecoberable this is not only "something wrong in super duper" there's also something wrong in Cruciall SSD drives or in SSD drives in general... and this was my question: do I have to forget SSD drives for the moment or just Crucial ones?

May 10, 2012 3:25 AM in response to Trinity

Just to clarify the subject: SuperDuper KILLS NOTHING. I bought a second identical Crucial M4 512GB and I got same identical behaviour: ten minutes installing MacOS from DVD then death, unrecoverable, not recognized as a hard drive nor nothing attached to the usb bus...

I needed a PC to revive the drive and to upgrade the firmware. After that it works like a charm, first in an external drive for testing and now inside my 2008 MacBook Pro.

So if you are looking for an ssd drive and googling you end reading this, first of all UPGRADE THE SSD FIRMWARE, and then don't forget to enable TRIM using one of the Trimenabler apps you can get on the internet.

Hope this helps somebody.

SuperDuper kills only Crucial M4 SSDs or all the brands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.