Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

boot camp not reading windows 7 install disc

The search didn't find a result for this question, so if you know of an existing thread for this, just link me to it.

Using Lion with Boot Camp 4. Using Boot Camp Assistant to partition the drive. I have the Windows 7 install DVD, but it keeps ejecting.

Computer is a MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.3

2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks.

Macbook Pro 2.5gHz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 1:36 PM

Not that I can tell why but did you burn ISO?

Common issue, lots of threads, Disk Utility has to be forced to burn at reduced slowest speed (2x)

Windows 7 SP1 (any version) "some times" fails.

Sometimes it is due to 3rd party RAM too that won't boot or work with Windows. Run memtest. Even if you think it is fine and works.

MSDN and schools offer Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit for download as ISO or .exe

Retail? try getting the disc exchanged or just inspect for scratch or errors.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2012 1:36 PM in response to j gabriel

Not that I can tell why but did you burn ISO?

Common issue, lots of threads, Disk Utility has to be forced to burn at reduced slowest speed (2x)

Windows 7 SP1 (any version) "some times" fails.

Sometimes it is due to 3rd party RAM too that won't boot or work with Windows. Run memtest. Even if you think it is fine and works.

MSDN and schools offer Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit for download as ISO or .exe

Retail? try getting the disc exchanged or just inspect for scratch or errors.

Apr 5, 2012 2:09 PM in response to j gabriel

As I tried to say, don't take RAM for granted. I see Lion as not being as stringent, and people coming back to report Memtest showed FAIL message(s).

One person the DIMM(s) were actually loose and not firmlhy seated, so know that is an issue.

Your disc as I said, or even your superdrive.

ISO as I tried to say, are electronic images.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/ISO_disk_image

Similar to your .DMG and is usually an image of a CD or DVD

Apr 6, 2012 8:17 AM in response to The hatter

Because the DVDs are not being read in any computer in the house, I called Microsoft and they are sending me new discs. If those new discs work I'll post here so others know the results.

To note, on another forum, to test the Superdrive, restart the computer while holding "D". This will bring up a hardware scan and you can check the Superdrive this way. Also, be sure to clean the drive if you haven't. Those symptoms apparently also cause the same issues as a failing drive.

Apr 6, 2012 9:16 AM in response to j gabriel

If you have the time, download the Windows 8 CP ISO and burn that to DVD (slowwwly) and try that, besides which it is free.

Windows Metro Style

You can also get away frequently with install in a VM (ISO allowed) where installing natively fails.

Installing Windows 8 or Windows 7 on a Mac without Superdrive with VirtualBox Hugues Valentin

VirtualBox

boot camp not reading windows 7 install disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.