Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes very slow when I add movie artwork or edit data

Everyone. I know that this has to be a widespread problem with iTunes 10.6.1.7. I personally have this version on 3 computers and they are all doing the same thing. First of all, I have completely uninstalled the previous version of iTunes before I installed the latest version. However, I was having the same problem for the last several versions at least

To start with, when I add an .m4v file to the movies section, it takes forever for the files to process. Whereas, the processing part of the files used to happen rapidly and then you would see a bar at the top showing the progress of your files being pulled into iTunes.

Next problem....After the files are finally into the movies section and I click on "get info", it will then take about 30 seconds for the info box to pull up. Then when I put the info in there for each file and hit the next button, it will then take another 1-2 minutes for it to move on to the next file.

The last problem is the adding of artwork. It is taking at least 3 minutes per file for each artwork to be edited, and move on to the next file.

This is ridiculous seeing as how this process used to work just fine. I have a huge iTunes library, and I would have never gotten this far if iTunes would keep acting like it is right now.

Basically, every time you change anything in info, iTunes freezes up and slows down your whole computer

I hope someone can help because the uninstall and reinstall did not do anything to help

Windows 7 64

intel sandybridge quad core

8gb gskill ram

I want itunes back like it was. They need to fix this crap or my iDevices are going to be useless and therfore not worth the money i pay them to get the newest one everytime

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 1:46 PM

11 replies

Dec 29, 2012 12:00 PM in response to johnfrombonvicino

johnfrombonvicino

I had a similar problem until today. I have a fairly large library ~40k songs. If I edited the tags by using the "Get Info" option it would take ~30 sec of beachball before the data was saved. I hunted online and didn't find many answers and thought it was due to the Itunes 11 update. Just by chance I did a File > Library > Organise Library > Reorganise Files in iTunes folder. I am certain this was the defaut I used before upgrading to 11, it still seemed to be checked in preferences/advanced, maybe I did something on the way. Anyway, after letting it do its thing for 5 minutes, the Get Info editing is instantaneous!! Woohoo!!

Feb 20, 2013 2:56 AM in response to Cropcord

Ok, I've got the same problem and I've just found a weird way to fix it. However, this only works if you have Apple TV. Use Apple TV to play a movie. Make sure you do it from the Apple TV and not the Mac because you need to be able to use your Mac screen. Once it's playing, start editing your Get Info panels. This is how I do it and it works fine. If I try the normal, standard way (the way it should be - i.e. without playing through Apple TV), it gives me the beach ball of death for about a minute.

Just for the record: Apple TV 3 and bottom line 15" MacBook Pro (retina model).

😉

Apr 20, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Cropcord

Crop...

I'm having the same problem (iTunes 11.02!) .

I think this one isn't resolved because it IS rare: I've had iTunes on about 7 different machines (Mac and PC) since it begain (2001). In fact I maintain the same library without issues for over 10 years. Anyway this is the first time it's occurred (in my case it's happened on a pretty recent Mac Laptop). But as you may have discovered, google/bing searches for similar problems yeild VERY few results.

A guy at the Apple store was able to temporarily fix by doing some low level cache removal, that may give a glimpse to the reason, but is not a permanent fix.

I'm going to try a few things will report back if I have any luck**.

***If anyone else want to give it a try: Before starting bookmark the following: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1391 this describes the location and purpose of most of the iTunes library files. And, any apple support docs on creating a new iTunes library... I'm unwilling to try the let iTunes "Keep iTunes Media folder organized " cause I have my own organization method.

Apr 23, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Cropcord

Crop,

forgot to mention the workarounds:

1. Get info works as before (instantaneously) while your playing the movie : counterintuitive but does the trick assuming your movies appear instantly.

2.Of course above won't work on a group of movies. If you want to change info for several at a time, you can do so without the wait... at first, but then you'll need to wait as it's "processing..." not sure if this lag any slower than earlier versions.

HTH, xandra

caveat: my tests are on a Mac but, assuming your not having classic iTunes/PC issue with the "??? SC" folder (sorry can't remembe full name),I'd expect you'll have the same results

iTunes very slow when I add movie artwork or edit data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.