Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ssd for Mac mini 2010

I want to change the HDD of my Mac mini for a new SSD. I wonder what's the best option. Thanks.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.4 GH middle 2010 version

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply
11 replies

Apr 8, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Wotan1

Make certain the one you get uses the Sandforce chipset...

Oh, last bit, make sure the SSD is a Sandforce controller.

You don't want Marvel, Intel, JMIcron or other.

Only Sandforce.

OCZ Vertex2 and Agility 2, ADATA are a few of the possibilities.

Of course, OWC as well.

Post by the great japamac...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3839589?answerId=17991384022#17991384022

Apr 23, 2012 11:21 AM in response to Wotan1

I have a dilemma over here .

You can replace the HDD with an SSD or you can replace the optical drive with an SSD.

Now if you replace the HDD I recommend a bigger SSD , preferably 240GB and a higher cost (OCZ, OWS, Corsair )

The other version is to replace the optical drive with a smaller SSD , 120GB and a lower cost , like the new Intel 330 series ...good value .

Well ,don't expect the to have those speeds they said , because the Mini 2010 works max 3G speeds ~SATA2. ( the Hitachi HDD is only SATA1 ). So SATA3 will never work, which are the real speeds . The majority of SSD with SATA2,3 are on the same price range .

For sure you will get an improved performance (SATA2 over SATA1 ) but the process it's tedious and require skills if is house made .

Good Luck !

Ssd for Mac mini 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.