Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are your suggestions for dictating and converting to text?

What are your suggestions for dictating a story and converting to text?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iPad 2; iPhone 3G

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 2:53 PM

Dragon Dictate is the only valid option for the Mac. On the iPad there is a Dragon app amongst many others.

7 replies

Apr 5, 2012 3:00 PM in response to Myrte Veach

I don't think you can connect a mic to an iPad separately, but then again maybe there is a way to do that, and I simply don't know it.

The new iPad 3 has dictation built-in so there is a mic in the iPad, but I don't know how effective it is for your purpose.

Mac portables have built-in mics. Dragon also sells headsets intended specifically for use on Macs using Dictation or Dictation Express.

Apr 5, 2012 5:21 PM in response to Myrte Veach

I've had students record on the iPad using the iPhone headset, and the quality was surprisingly good for how cheap it is. To record situations where that wasn't practical (shooting movies, etc), there are a number of iPad external mics available - I did a search for them recently, and couldn't find much between the $2-3 range and the $75 range. I ended up ordering the Vericorder Mini-Mic - $25 plus shipping from Canada.

What are your suggestions for dictating and converting to text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.