Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen after windows 7 update?

Last night i left my Macbook Pro downloading a game on steam overnight, when i got up in the morning it seems like it restarted and went onto the mac login screen. So i restarted it into windows and it had been installing an update, and it said something like "installing clientregistry" with a number/number (it was the last step). It then restarted again and so i booted into windows, except after the screen where the colours fly around, i can see my cursor for a tiny bit then the screen goes black. You can tell it's still on as the fans continue to run and the brightness is a bit higher than what it would be if it was off. When i go onto the mac side, it says something like NTFS 3G force or abort, i chose force but it doesn't change anything. If i boot into safe mode in windows (when it detects it didn't shut down properly), i can get to the login screen and login but it says error cannot load profile, and it restarts after a certain time.

It's very important that my windows works as the only way i can access a copy of windows 7 disc is from school, and the holidays just started 😟

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 3:18 PM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2012 6:55 PM in response to Porkyy

Try booting Windows into safe mode by selecting the windows partiton and as soon as it starts booting up, hold down the F8 key (you may have to hold down fn + F8 dependidng on your settings). This should hopefully get you in to the system and you can do a system restore to undo any changes that are causing it to not boot normally.

Let me know if this doesn't work, and I'll see what else can be done.

Apr 5, 2012 8:36 PM in response to mwm417

Thanks for the reply,

if i hold fn+f8 it gives me heaps of options, i tried the safe mode and it loads a ton of things but gets stuck on class.pnp at the end. Before safe mode would work and let me in for a couple of seconds before a force restart with a smaller resolution, but now it doesn't go through? Also, i tried to install something called macfuse but it doesn't work properly and now i don't even think i can read the volume through my mac side. When i boot up it comes up with two warnings;

i) NTFS-3G Mount unsuccessful

The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows.
Fixing.
/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8) the MacFUSE file system is unavailible(71)

ii) A very similar log as the one previously but with NTFS-3G written all over it

I'll uninstall macfuse as it proved useless. Before i could see the windows hd on the desktop, now it's just gone, maybe it's corrupted somehow? Should i try repairing it as one of the options in the safe-boot selection area?

Apr 5, 2012 9:05 PM in response to Porkyy

Hmm thats strange. Try booting up again using fn + F8, but instead of going to safe mode, go to repair computer (I think its the one at the top). It will ask you for a password and such, but will then give you a window showing different repair options. I would first try the startup repair (I don't think this will work but it IMHO is the least destructive). Reboot and see if it works. If not go back and instead of startup repair choose system restore and restore to a restore point before you started having problems.

If none of this works, on the same fn + F8 menu where you choose repair your computer and safe mode etc. there should be an option to start Using Last Known Good Configuration. I don't have a good success rate with this which is why I don't recommend it first.

If still none of these work let me know, and we can try some command prompt fixes.

Apr 5, 2012 10:32 PM in response to Porkyy

Thank you! After the system restore, the black screen still occurred. That's when it dawned on me, the brightness was on the lowest... (I feel like the biggest idiot) The update must've changed the preferences, but the NTFS thing keeps popping up. Do you have any ideas? It'd be nice to be able to read and write files on my mac side for windows.

Apr 6, 2012 11:33 PM in response to Porkyy

Ha funny how we always seem to overlook the obvious fixes. Sorry, unfortunatley I don't have much advice as far the NTFS-3G goes. I always had issues with that, so I decided to get Paragon NTFS for Mac. Its about 20 bucks, so if thats something you can do I would higly suggest it as I have almost no issues with it.

Black screen after windows 7 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.