Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distribution of free ibook

Hi,

I intend to distribute my iBook for free. Can I just upload the .ibook to my website and allow downloads (is this really allowed under the license?)

thank you

iPad

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 2:49 AM

Yes. You can make your book available for free, even in .ibooks format. You don't need Apple's permission to do this, and you can distribute the file any way you like.

If you want to charge money for it and the book is in ibooks format, you must sell it through the iBookstore.

If the book in some other format, PDF or ePub (I believe you cannot actually generate ePub with IBA), there are no restrictions. You can sell it or give it away by whatever means you choose without owing anything to Apple.

See here for the relevant section of the FAQ:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5071#2

Michi.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2012 2:49 AM in response to barkest

Yes. You can make your book available for free, even in .ibooks format. You don't need Apple's permission to do this, and you can distribute the file any way you like.

If you want to charge money for it and the book is in ibooks format, you must sell it through the iBookstore.

If the book in some other format, PDF or ePub (I believe you cannot actually generate ePub with IBA), there are no restrictions. You can sell it or give it away by whatever means you choose without owing anything to Apple.

See here for the relevant section of the FAQ:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5071#2

Michi.

Jun 7, 2012 8:08 AM in response to MichiHenning

Michi!

Thank you for your help on this topic. I cann't seem to do this.

I can see the book (.ibook) in my library in iTunes but when I connect my iPad to iTunes, I click on devices, iPad, Then I click on Books and I see ALL my ebooks, but not the one that I just put into the library.

I'm desperate. I am making an eBook and I need the author to be able to see what interactivity I have added to her text.

iPad 2 iOS 5.1, Black MacBook running 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.6.1

Jun 7, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Obospieler

Obospieler wrote:

I can see the book (.ibook) in my library in iTunes but when I connect my iPad to iTunes, I click on devices, iPad, Then I click on Books and I see ALL my ebooks, but not the one that I just put into the library.

I see similar behavior occasionally. Seems to be a bug in iTunes or iBooks. What usually works for me is to deselect all books, sync, shut down iTunes and iBooks, re-start them, and the select to sync all books. (Not all of these steps may actually be necessary.) At any rate, that causes the list of books available for syncing in iTunes to refresh to the correct list for me.

Michi.

Jun 9, 2012 12:27 PM in response to Obospieler

In fact i DID try this and no resutls. the book is still not showing up in the list under devices->ipad->books

Strange. Have you checked that you have the latest version of iBooks on the iPad? Also, you might want use the "consolidate library" feature in iTunes. It's possible that the iTunes library XML file got out of sync. Consolidating the library should fix this.

Michi.

Jun 11, 2012 2:32 AM in response to barkest

Hi,

i'm working on a series of free iBooks for a client and had no troubles with this way of distribution:

1) loading the .ibooks-file on my server

2) opening iOS-Safari on an iPad, choose the file-url, downloading this .ibooks-file

3) no worry, while download there is absolutly nothing to see but the growing blue graph

4) pressing button "Open in iBooks"

5) waiting :-)

6) the iBook opens automatically in iBooks

7) closing the file, choose the file for moving to a folder and move (leaving this first folder, or the "root" if you like, brings better stability, especially if you work with much full-screen content as I do)

Ren3e

Distribution of free ibook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.