Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Router Reccomendations

Mostly folks here write to describe problems they're having, but I'm looking for info on what DOES work (before I purchase).

In short, I'm looking for a wireless N Router (not Apple branded) that works well with Mac, Windows,& Apple Devices ( iPad, AppleTV, iPod) etc. It doesn't have to have a lot of bells or whistles - just very dependable with a good Web Page interface. And, ideally good internet/phone support. I mainly need this to speed up my wireless g network for AirPlay usage.

Can anyone reccomend anything?

I'm not sure where to post this, so please excuse if I crosspost

Alix

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 7:12 AM

You want a wireless n router that will speed up your wireless g network yet you don't want a dual band AirPort Extreme? Good luck with that.

Sorry, the only router that does all that and gets along with Windows clients was an Apple AirPort Extreme. I tried cheaper alternatives, they didn't work. It was the Windows computers that kept getting knocked off the network.

The Extreme fixed it. To this day everything works perfectly. Forget about a web page configuration. AirPort Utility is a much better idea and there is a Windows version too.

If you elect to go the cheap route a dual band wireless router is going to be at least $90. It's your money to waste.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Alix Leigh

You want a wireless n router that will speed up your wireless g network yet you don't want a dual band AirPort Extreme? Good luck with that.

Sorry, the only router that does all that and gets along with Windows clients was an Apple AirPort Extreme. I tried cheaper alternatives, they didn't work. It was the Windows computers that kept getting knocked off the network.

The Extreme fixed it. To this day everything works perfectly. Forget about a web page configuration. AirPort Utility is a much better idea and there is a Windows version too.

If you elect to go the cheap route a dual band wireless router is going to be at least $90. It's your money to waste.

Apr 6, 2012 7:20 AM in response to Alix Leigh

Well, it is pricey, but I use a Netgear n900 (wndr4500). This is a simultaneous dual band (2.4Ghz/5Ghz), 802.11/a/b/g/n wifi router with independently configurable radios for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

In my home it is used to simultaneously connect a MBP, an 5yr old Windows Vista Acer (with an old DLink g wifi card added to it), a PS3, my Sony LCD TV, a Kodak wifi printer, and older Dell wifi printer, my old iPhone 3Gs, my current iPhone 4 and iPad, a Nook color, a Nook simple touch ereader and an AT&T 3G microcell via ethernet cable connection (has nice QoS settings to make the microcell's ethernet port top priority). Also occasionally my old PowerBook G4.

it works flawlessly. As far as "phone" support, do you mean VOIP? That is highly dependent on your ISP's level of service usually, more so than the router being used. I know my microcell works fine on my n900, but I have cable internet and get a nice clean upload rate of close to 1Mbps (upload rate and quality is often the big limitation for good VOIP calling).

There are cheaper options, but in terms of performance the n900 seems very impressive to me (and it has fairly good web setup/configuration tools - not the simplest as it has many configuration options, but well laid out and easy to use if you are at least somewhat familiar with wifi setups).

For what it is worth, I've used Linksys, Netgear and Belkin in the past with a highly mixed wifi suite of devices (Apple, Windows and others) for years and never had a problem getting my network to run flawlessly. The last Airport I personally owned was the original gray space saucer model.

Mar 24, 2013 10:14 AM in response to John Galt

John,

Before all answers were in, I gave in and bought an extreme.

Have not had any problems connecting to a gazillion devices (iPads/Pods, Macs, PCs, AV equipment). Of course some of this compatibilty could be due to lack of hardware firewall.

It has been however VERY fast and VERY reliable. Should note I haven't dared upgrade the firmware (I lost an airport express doing so)

My only gripe is that you're forced into using Airport Utility, which Apple seems to like downgrading so you never know what capabilities might just disappear next week.

Thanks for the advice

Mar 24, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Alix Leigh

Thanks for the update Alix.

I agree, don't upgrade firmware unless you perceive a need for it. You can downgrade the firmware if necessary though. The AirPort Extreme is a hardware firewall so no worries there.

If you want access to the features that were eliminated from AirPort Utility 6.x, you can install an earlier version with the ability to modify them.

Some of these features are important, in my opinion, and I would like to see them reinstated. In general though, AirPort Utility has advantages that outweigh the typical "browser page" setup of other routers.

Let me know if you need to install AirPort Utility 5.6, or you can search this forum for the procedure.

Router Reccomendations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.