Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac g4 help

Hi guys

i have been given an imac g4 W8******QB3 (think its the first one) and I am wanting to get it going to let the kids play with

when it starts up i get the grey screen with ? finder folder

so i got a os x 10.5 and tried to install by powering on and holding down c button

but I keep getting this screen

http://flic.kr/p/bK2aCt

any help would be greatly received User uploaded file

<Edited by Host>

iMac

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 6:20 AM

4 replies

Apr 6, 2012 1:52 PM in response to mwain6969

That's a kernel panic.

Either you're trying to boot from the wrong disc (i.e. not a retail one), or your model doesn't support 10.5 (possible if it's an early one), or there may be a hardware problem.

More information on the model would help to begin with - any numbers on the base plate?

The ? means that the firmware can't find a viable start up volume. I suppose there is a hard drive in there? It's not unusual for people to remove the HD before disposing of a computer.

Apr 6, 2012 3:02 PM in response to mwain6969

Here is what I got from

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

Model: - iMac (USB 2.0)
Codename: - ?
Build Country: - Your Mac was built in Changhai, China.
Build Year: - Your Mac was built in 2004.
Build Week - Your Mac was built in week 16 of that year (April).
Production Nr.: - Your Mac was number 907 to be built that week.

Processor Memory Storage and Media
Processor speed: - 1 GHz
Processor Type: - PPC, G4
Number of Cores: - 1
Bus Speed: - 167 MHz
Cache: - -
64-bit Support: - No
Installed RAM: - 256 MB
Max. Amount: - 2.0 GB
Amount of Slots: - 2
RAM Speed: - 333 MHz
RAM Type: - 1 x PC-2700, SO-DIMM
- 1 x PC-2700, SDRAM

Your machine will run 10.5 Leopard.

Where did you get the 10.5/10.4 dvd? You need to have a black X on the dvd. The grey dvd are machine specific. No grey dvds should be available for you machine. You machine went out of productione before 10.4 & 10.5 came out.

Original OS: - 10.2.7 Jaguar - 10.3.1 Panther
Maximum OS: - Mac OS 10.5.8

Apr 6, 2012 2:59 PM in response to mwain6969

Don't post serial numbers!

It doesn't help us out here anyway.

No iMac G4 ever shipped with 10.4.x, so those discs do not belong to and will not boot that computer.

Your model originally shipped with 10.2.7, with some of the last ones having 10.3.1.

It will run 10.4.x or up to 10.5.8 if you can obtain the Retail disc for one of those. Unfortunately, either is likely to prove expensive.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

These are the boxes for Leopard (10.5) and Tiger (10.4). The design on the disc is identical.

Amazon marketplace usually have a few available, but expect prices upwards of $150 for Leopard. Tiger seems to vary a great deal from vendor to vendor but won't be far off the same on average.

imac g4 help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.