Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Airport utility won't recognize the Airport express

The airport untility won't recognize the airport express i just purchased

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 12:05 PM

If you are trying to configue the Express using wireless....

Click the AirPort icon at the top of Mac's screen

Click Join Other Network

Click Show Networks

Select the Apple Network xxxxxxx that the Express is broadcasting, no password is required

Then, open AirPort Utility

It is much easier for most users to temporarily connect an Ethernet cable from the Mac to the AirPort Express, then open AirPort Utility. Disconnect the Ethernet cable once the Express has been configured

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Lakefamily7

If you are trying to configue the Express using wireless....

Click the AirPort icon at the top of Mac's screen

Click Join Other Network

Click Show Networks

Select the Apple Network xxxxxxx that the Express is broadcasting, no password is required

Then, open AirPort Utility

It is much easier for most users to temporarily connect an Ethernet cable from the Mac to the AirPort Express, then open AirPort Utility. Disconnect the Ethernet cable once the Express has been configured

Aug 17, 2013 9:25 PM in response to Lakefamily7

If you're trying to bridge the existing wireless network, I found that you can't configure the Airport Express from the wired computer behind the Airport Express. I had to:

1. Unplug the AirPort Express
  2. Disable the WiFi on the Mini
  3. In Network Preferences, set Ethernet as the default connection using DHCP.
  4. Connect the Mini to the LAN port for the AirPortExpress
  5. Plug-in the AirportExpress
  6. FROM A DIFFERENT COMPUTER CONNECTED TO THE WIRELESS NETWORK, follow steps 6-9 from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

This worked for me, but I don't know how to resolve the issue if you don't have a 2nd computer available. I had also tried this via Airport Utility on an 1st generation iPad, but that didn't work. Maybe somebody in the same situation could try it with an iPad that can run a newer verion of iOS.

The Airport utility won't recognize the Airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.