Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 can't read .CR2 files Canon 5D

I use Aperture 2 since 2008, with my Canon 5D.

I switched to Aperture 3 on February 15 carefree importing my library.

But since 2 days Aperture 3 does not recognize the pictures of my 5D from my library and import from my camera.

There is no problem with jpegs.

I reinstalled Aperture, I created a new library.

But I still have the same problem.

Someone has an idea?

thank you

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 4:00 PM

9 replies

Apr 6, 2012 11:14 PM in response to tistek

Canon 5D is supported by Aperture 3 and the raw processing . What exactly do you mean by

Aperture 3does not recognizethe pictures of my5D

Do you get an error/diagnostic message, eg. unsupported format, are they displayed with "exclamation point" badges, or don't they display correctly?

Have you tried to reprocess the master images to force a new raw conversion (select the images in the browser and use the command Photos -> Reprocess Masters)?

Butsince2 daysAperture 3does not recognizethe pictures of my5D

What happened two days ago? Did you install other software? Did you experience any crashes, failed hardware recently?

Can you import your raws if you work from a different user account? Eg. the Guest account? If the problem only occurs when working from your account, you probably have corrupted preference settings. Then move your user preferences to the trash as described here:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Regards

Léonie

May 15, 2012 8:56 PM in response to léonie

I have the same problem. When I import files (which I'm just doing form folders on the hard drive, and linking them to the existing location, I can see both the jpg & cr2 versions of the images checked for importing. I import them all. Then, when I view the project and scroll through the files, Aperture seems to only show me the jpg's.

Now maybe 'under the bonnet' it is actually using the RAW cr2 file, but in the filename field it clearly shows jpg, and I have no idea how to get it to work with the cr2 file that it supposedly imported.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks.

May 15, 2012 9:03 PM in response to memarkiam

Ah, I've just spotted a little field at the bottom of the import section that had 'JPG as master' when importing RAW & JPG files...why on earth anyone would use the jpg as master when they've set their camera to save RAW as well I don't know - or at least why that would be the default??

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand the concept of a 'master' in Aperture (only having installed it yesterday) so I don't know if I can switch the master after import, or have to delete & reimport? (probably the later...)

May 15, 2012 9:44 PM in response to memarkiam

...why on earth anyone would use the jpg as master when they've set their camera to save RAW as well I don't know

That is very useful, if you have a camera that is so new, that there is not yet any raw support available. While you are waiting you can use the jpeg as masters and process the raw when the raw upgrade is available.

Also it is useful, if you actually like the raw processing and adjustments done in the camera and only occasionally need to fine tune it by going back to the original masters.

Have you already discovered the useful online manual? It is far better than the manual in the Help window.

You may want to have a look at the Importing RAW + JPEG Image Pairs section in the chapter: Adding Additional Import Options

Regards

Léonie

May 16, 2012 5:35 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for adding that, Frank. I was unfortunately in front of an Aperture Library without a single Raw+Jpeg pair, when I answered that post this morning, and could not find the menu entry to see the exact title (and not in the manual either).

BTW: Nice picture - I would love to see it not occluded by a menu list 😀

Added: What I found, however, are menu entries

Photos -> Switch Project to use Raw Masters

I think, that should do exactly what memarkiam wants to do, but without a single raw image in my temporary library I could not try it, and thus was not confident to recommend it. Have you tried this option?

Regards

Léonie

May 16, 2012 6:30 AM in response to léonie

Photos->Set xxxx as master works the same way as the select menu. If you have a RAW+JPG pair selected the menu item will collapse to just showing the other file type. You only see the two options if there is no RAW+JPG pair selected (and why they bother who knows)

That's for picture complement, will have to put those up online at some point.

Aperture 3 can't read .CR2 files Canon 5D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.