Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to SSD

Hello,

I must admit that I have never used the Apple Support Communities before, but I am having quite a lot of trouble trying to find an answer to the current problem I have. I own a MacBook Pro 15'' (early 2011) with a 500 Gb HDD, which has a 70 Gb partition for running Windows 7 using Bootcamp. So far so good; however, I need to upgrade to a SSD hence I intend to clone my HDD to the new SSD. Here it's where it gets tricky, and I'm not sure if it has a relatively simple solution.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 4:33 PM

6 replies

Apr 6, 2012 4:40 PM in response to CFD.12

That's a good machine and a fast drive, what would you want to pay a fortune for a 500GB SSD, it's not going to do much for you unless you have a external SSD and a lot of data to transfer all the time.

If you were thinking smaller SSD, then your going to run out of space a lot faster.

SSD's are over priced and overrated, they try to push them, like they try to get people to eat Tilapia, but it tastes nasty.

When the price comes down yes, until then it's a waste of money for most people as they will never use the speed of a SSD.

Like a RAID 0, you really have to have a lot of data to transfer to use it and make it worthwhile.

Buy a SSD when you buy a new machine 4 years from now, 3 years and a day if your unlucky.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents

Apr 6, 2012 5:02 PM in response to CFD.12

Hello,

I must admit that I have never used the Apple Support Communities before, but I am having quite a lot of trouble trying to find an answer to the current problem I have. I own a MacBook Pro 15'' (early 2011) with a 500 Gb HDD, which has a 70 Gb partition for running Windows 7 using Bootcamp. So far so good; however, I need to upgrade to a SSD hence I intend to clone my HDD to the new SSD. Here it's where it gets tricky, and I'm not sure if it has a relatively simple solution. The final set up I'm seeking to achieve is the following:

• A new SSD with my current Windows 7 partitioned cloned to it, ONLY my current Mac OS X itself with my most used applications and a third new partition for Linux.
  • Removing the optical drive and placing in that space my old HDD to use it to store the applications I use less frequently, and for example, music and photos that I currently have on my Mac OS X HDD.

I have seen people doing these things separately, yet I'm not sure if this can be done all together in a relatively easy way. Would I be able to access other stored data in my HDD from the Linux or Windows partition on the SSD?

I would highly appreciate any guidance regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 6, 2012 7:12 PM in response to CFD.12

If you put your hard drive where the optical is and a SSD as boot your going to have issues and not only that Apple won't cover your warranty/AppleCare as you made a modification.

If your fine with that ok, jsut let you know you can't use OS X boot disks or Windows on external optical drives.

Carbon copy cloner will clone Lion and Recovery from the HD to the SSD, but you will have to use Winclone to clone Windows/bootcamp to a external drive while this whole mess is going on.

Next, forget about direct installing Linux on a Mac, just forget it, Lion did a number on it and it's done and Apple doesn't want more that Bootcamp + Win 7 on a boot parittion.

Mac's have hardware drivers, needs fan control, video drivers, wifi drivers and all sorts of other stuff that you would have to depend upon the Linux community to produce, if any are using Linux on newer Mac's, older Mac's to 2009 with 10.6 sure. No sweat.

10.7 messed around deep in firmware, all for Lion Internet Recovery and all this buisness that you need certian stufff installed in EFI to get Linux to run on a Mac.

Better you run Linux in a virtual machine software like VMFusion or Parallels Desktop, they will hodl your hand and you you can not only install Linux, but many different distros (versions of it) also Windows XP-7!

You take a bit of a performance hit, no 3D graphics, but for screwing around it's fine. You get into trouble you just tell VMFusion to trash Linux or Windows and your done.

You can even save "snapshots" to revert back too.

User uploaded file

You see, Apple only supports Win 7 in Bootcamp, only as a selling point, they don't want to suport anything esle and you need Apple's support because they control the hardware, the drivers and the Hybrid MBR that enables Windows to work on a GUID Mac.

So don't go installing Linux unless you know what the heck your doing and have experience installing Linux on PC's with Windows first, because the Mac is a whole another ball of wax inside.

I really recommned oyu just leave your machine alone, a SSD is not going to make a bit of difference, perhaps a program will launch a few seconds faster, big deal.

SSD speed comes into play on large files transfered to another SSD. That will cut the time in half easy, but small files 99% of people use won't make a difference, it's like going 100 MPH and 1000 MPH in a mere 1ft, they both get there almost instantly

If they were both going 10,000 miles, oh then yes, 1000 MPH is 10x faster than 100MPH.

A fast computer is a desire of many a geek, the fact is a Mac laptop lasts only about 3.5-4 years or so and then it's done for.

There is always another faster comptuer than yours. Always, so why blow your money?, save it for a rainy day. Vacations and travel are the best, computers are lame in comparison.

Good Luck 🙂

Apr 7, 2012 6:11 AM in response to ds store

Thank you so much ds store. I had no clue that the warranty would be voided if I remove the optical drive.
I already saw that installing Linux on a Mac is a headache, although I was adviced to install Linux within the Windows partition, they assured that this would make it an easier process. I have no clue about Linux really, I have never used it before even, but I need to get it in order to run some Engineering programs (mainly OpenFoam); this is why I would like to run Linux natively and not in a virtual machine software.

The same goes for running Windows 7 natively and me willing to operate it from a SSD. I'm currently studying in a University, and I had to do a project that required using ANSYS Fluent, another engineering program. I was really limited due to hardware computational constraints (the computer was seriously struggling solving a really simplified problem), so I thought that replacing my HDD to a SSD would benefit me a lot, as well as some additional RAM memory.

I also use the Mac OS for photo edditing etc, so I think that an SSD could help with that as well.

In the end I guess I'll have to leave the optical drive in place, and just buy a more expensive SSD with 512 Gb and just clone my whole actual setting; however, I wanted to increase my actual Windows 7 partition memory (from 70 Gb to 100 Gb). Would the cloning software allow me to do this, while still cloning everything in the exact same way?

Then, I could still use my HDD as an external HDD, right?

Thank again for the great information. 🙂

Upgrading to SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.