Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing a Mac printer to Windows 7 via LPR does not work

I had read an article explaining how to configure a Windows 7 PC to print to a shared Mac printer (in Snow Leopard, but I assume it's the same in Lion).

So I shared the printer (an IP printer) on my Mac, then followed the instructions to add LPR Printing to Windows 7.

I went to 127.0.0.1:631 and saw the CUPS page on my Mac, and the setup the LPR port on Windows 7 with the IP address of my Mac and the Queue name listed for the shared printer in CUPS. Unfortunately, when I enter the port info and click OK, it comes back with the error page listed in the article.

I've tried this on two different iMac's (a new 27" and a much older iMac with Snow Leopard). I also used three different Windows laptops (Windows 7 and Vista), and all three gave the same error.

Basically, when I setup the LPR port, it cannot "talk" and confirm the settings with the Mac. WHY????

I've turned off Windows Firewall, tried basically everything I can think of (and I'm a tech, so I've tried a lot!).

Anyone successfully printed to a shared Mac printer from a Windows 7/Vista PC?

Thanks for any help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 27", Core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 4:18 PM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2012 4:36 PM in response to Darryl Mylrea

As far as I know, Bonjour comes by itself, or at least the version I installed. I also have iTunes installed but I don't think it came with Bonjour.

The only problem I had was that Apple's auto update caused a Win7 malfunction, so I update Safari, iTunes and Bonjour manually on my Windows box.

BTW, why do you need to share an IP printer? Windows is perfectly able to print directly to any printer with its own IP address. You do not have to go through a Mac to use it.

It's a bit tricky, but in the Windows printer setup you can access and install the software and such for a printer that is a standalone on the network.

I have an old Epson Stylus Color 900 with the added network block, making it an "N," and I can print to it from Windows anytime.

Apr 6, 2012 4:47 PM in response to nerowolfe

nerowolfe wrote:

BTW, why do you need to share an IP printer?

Because I have a client with a home office and there is a color laser and an iMac downstairs on wireless. No wired jacks anywhere downstairs. I wound up directly connecting the color laser to the iMac's ethernet port and configuring a separate ip network for the ethernet port and the printer (different subnet than the wireless).

It should work. That's what's frustrating! 🙂

Sharing a Mac printer to Windows 7 via LPR does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.