Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next 87 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2015 11:28 AM by Csound1 Go to original post
  • murrayE Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    jarown wrote:

     

    DiffMerge? http://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/#

    Not so great. E.g., automatically expands list of files in some archives; no way I see to select block or several individual files to include or exclude in subsequent action -- just individual item plus/minus selection; no way to quickly open or close folders in the two-folder view window.

  • marioed Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    In my old Windows time I used Copernic.

    In mac I am pleased with Folder Sync

  • alpha9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Finally......

    Scooter Software released a Beyond Compare OSX beta!

     

    http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta.php

     

    This looks very, very good.

  • weneman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes!

     

    Giving some test runs with it shortly comparing my NAS- and some old external hard drive- backup files.

    Looks promising.

     

    Thanks for the great thread.

     

    -w-

  • cragrat Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    I was looking for something similar (lots of photo files in bad state !!) - this seems to do what I want anyway

    http://www.kaleidoscopeapp.com/

  • M. Milano Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Might have missed the one message listing this option in the long-lived thread, but "Synchronize! Pro" by Qdea has been around for a while. Though overly expensive for the pro version, it offers a particular simplicity in its side-to-side comparison view.

  • murrayE Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    M. Milano wrote:

     

    Might have missed the one message listing this option in the long-lived thread, but "Synchronize! Pro" by Qdea has been around for a while. Though overly expensive for the pro version, it offers a particular simplicity in its side-to-side comparison view.

    Synchronize! Pro X is yet another poorly conceptualized folder/subfolders compare/copy/synchronize utility. If you read my original post and then look at Synchronize! Pro X, you'll see how utterly inferior it is to the Windows FileSync utility upon which I had relied before switching to Mac.

     

    Even more pathetically than some other OS X utilities that have been mentioned in this thread, Synchronize! Pro X does not even present a pair of Finder-like windows for the two folders being compared, let alone a way then to individually select individually or by groups  which files or folders, if any, are to be copied left-to-right, or right-to-left, or show dates/times in a folder display, etc.

     

    It's just utterly amazing to me that with all the talented and imaginative programmers who work on the Mac platform, that nobody has come up with anything that can touch FileSync.

     

    (I had and have utterly no connection with the creators of FileSync and was merely a very satisfied user of that utility while I was still using a Windows PC.)

  • Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (42,270 points)

    murrayE wrote:

     

    M. Milano wrote:

     

    Might have missed the one message listing this option in the long-lived thread, but "Synchronize! Pro" by Qdea has been around for a while. Though overly expensive for the pro version, it offers a particular simplicity in its side-to-side comparison view.

    Synchronize! Pro X is yet another poorly conceptualized folder/subfolders compare/copy/synchronize utility. If you read my original post and then look at Synchronize! Pro X, you'll see how utterly inferior it is to the Windows FileSync utility upon which I had relied before switching to Mac.

     

    Are you talking about SyncToy?

  • murrayE Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    murrayE wrote:

     

    M. Milano wrote:

     

    Might have missed the one message listing this option in the long-lived thread, but "Synchronize! Pro" by Qdea has been around for a while. Though overly expensive for the pro version, it offers a particular simplicity in its side-to-side comparison view.

    Synchronize! Pro X is yet another poorly conceptualized folder/subfolders compare/copy/synchronize utility. If you read my original post and then look at Synchronize! Pro X, you'll see how utterly inferior it is to the Windows FileSync utility upon which I had relied before switching to Mac.

     

    Are you talking about SyncToy?

    Nope! I'm talking about Synchronize! Pro X, which I downloaded and installed with a Demo key provided by the publisher.

  • Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (42,270 points)

    I can see that, I meant this remark

     

    the Windows FileSync utility upon which I had relied before switching to Mac.

  • aagd Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    I've been using Tri-Backup for this for some years.

     

    http://www.tri-edre.com/english/tribackup.html

     

    It's a backup tool that has a visual 'Compare 2 Folders' function which seems to be what you were looking for. Not exactly cheap, but a demo is available.

  • murrayE Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

    aagd wrote:

     

    I've been using Tri-Backup for this for some years.

     

    http://www.tri-edre.com/english/tribackup.html

     

    It's a backup tool that has a visual 'Compare 2 Folders' function which seems to be what you were looking for. Not exactly cheap, but a demo is available.

    Tri-Backup, like almost every other OS X folder/file compare/copy utility recommended in this thread, does not have the functionality I requested. For example, there seems to be no way automatically to expand all the subfolders of a compared folder (just manually expand one-by-one); and when comparing in both directions (i.e., looking at comparison for a synchronize), no way to select individual files/folders or groups of files/folders to copy in each of the two directions.

     

    But thanks for trying!

  • aagd Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    murrayE wrote:

     

    aagd wrote:

     

    I've been using Tri-Backup for this for some years.

     

    http://www.tri-edre.com/english/tribackup.html

     

    It's a backup tool that has a visual 'Compare 2 Folders' function which seems to be what you were looking for. Not exactly cheap, but a demo is available.

     

     

    Tri-Backup, like almost every other OS X folder/file compare/copy utility recommended in this thread, does not have the functionality I requested. For example, there seems to be no way automatically to expand all the subfolders of a compared folder (just manually expand one-by-one);

     

    Like in Finder's list view alt-click will unfold a folder and all it's subfolders.

     

     

    and when comparing in both directions (i.e., looking at comparison for a synchronize), no way to select individual files/folders or groups of files/folders to copy in each of the two directions.

     

     

    Sure it's possible to copy individual files in each direction.

     

     

    But thanks for trying!

     

     

    Today I also tried out VisualDiffer and I think it's even better. It's way faster and has many more options.

  • wgkrueger Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    One other Directory Diff utility is the one that comes with Oxygen XML Editor. I haven't used this since they went "professional" in their pricing and moved me to the minor leagues but I think they have some decent XML tools and I really liked their directory diff and file diff utilitiies that came with it.

     

    At first glance their diff looks very much like VisualDiffer in the MAS so I think I'll check it out (I'll do w/out my weekly Latte to help pay for it )

     

    Bill

  • Sergiobello Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Beyond Compare from Scooter Software is doing the job perfectly!

    Download, install, make link with directory on right side the original on the left side the copy (or vice-versa) starts comparing after a few minutes the result...

    Working even on external drive compared to NAS.

    I've compared 470 folders containing 580 GB of pictures and it did the job in a few minutes.

    Even more: Once it has finished comparing you can copy missing files directly from the tool from one directory to the other.

    Great tool!

    Regards,

    Serge