Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java?

Macrumors (http://www.macrumors.com/) is reporting that there is a Trojan for Macs and has infiltrated Macbooks mainly in Canada. True/false?

If true, do the latest Java updates

1. eliminate the penetration abiity of this virus?

2. take the virus out of the infected macbook?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 9:26 PM

11 replies

Apr 6, 2012 9:52 PM in response to laurence misterioso

The update does not eliminate the trojan if you already infected. It will eliminate the ability of the trojans that took advantage of the security holes from using those now closed holes in the future. That doesn't mean you are safe. The bad guys are going to constanly search for other ways to "get in". Windows users have been dealing with this for years.

If you are infected, removal depends on which strain of the trojan you were infect with.

Apr 6, 2012 10:03 PM in response to laurence misterioso

As I said above, removal depends on which flavor of trojan you get infected with. Terminal is the easiest way to deal with this stuff.

Here's what I am suggesting as a rudimentary test for some of the known strains of the flashback trojans. Open a terminal window and copy/paste each of the following lines hitting return after each one and note the results:

defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment

defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment

ls -la ~/Library/LaunchAgents

grep "/Users/$USER/\..*" ~/Library/LaunchAgents/*

For the two defaults command if you get anything other than a "does not exist" error message post the results since you are almost certainly infected.

The third command, ls, just lists the contents of your LaunchAgents, if any. That's additional info to be used in conjunction with the last grep command. If the grep shows any results then that too may indicate infection and again post its results.

Apr 6, 2012 10:21 PM in response to laurence misterioso

for command 3, I get:

"574 May 4 2011 com.adobe.ARM.202f4087f2bbde52e3ac2df389f53a4f123223c9cc56a8fd83a6f7ae.plist"

"601 Apr 28 2011 com.adobe.ARM.df0ab5bbe6f698196fcc21e3c1e66dcb758bd911f4d637272d9d8109.plist"

Nov 18 13:30 com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist

Apr 28 2009 com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

Jan 4 2010 com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist

Mar 29 2010 com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.volumeWatcher.plist

May 11 2011 com.prosofteng.DGMonitor.plist

For command 4 grep I get:

Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist:

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Java?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.