Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Wireless Keyboard Gone Crazy!

My Apple Wireless Keyboard's keys have either turned off or changed. For example, the keys QWERTYASDFGHZXCVBP123456,;'[]-=\[/ Do not work, and the others have gone crazy. They keys NMJKLIO Are displayed and/or work as:

N: 0

J: 1

K: 2

L: 3

I: 4

O:5

M:6

I am currently typing this with an USB Hewlett-Packard Keyboard, which my iMac Mid 2011 doesn't like.

Is there anyone that can tell me how to fix this, perhaps someone running Lion, so I don't have to look up the differences on how to do stuff.

Also It would be really helpful If someone posted the Microsoft Windows-OS X Keyboard keys conversions!

Thanks.

Apple Wireless Keyboard-OTHER, Other OS, My Keyboard

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 9:55 PM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2012 11:46 PM in response to James4373

Wow, thats insane.

Firstly, go into System Preferences > Keyboard > check "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar".

Now in the top menu bar you should see a new square icon with an asterisk in it, click and select "Show Keyboard Viewer". You can use this this graphical keyboard to input just as a regular keyboard, and also see which modifer keys correspond as you hold them down.

Now, I'm guessing whatever is wrong its probably not with OSX if you can use your HP.

But in any case you should disconnect any peripherals and restart your iMac, IF you don't have automatic login turned on I suggest you do beforehand, just in case the HP bombs out too.

Now after restart, delete your Apple wireless keyboard from Bluetooth Preferences device list, and then turn your apple keyboard off by pressing and holding the power until the green light goes off, then single press to turn back on. Now click + in the device list, or "Set Up Bluetooth Devise" from the Bluetooth menu bar icon - see if you can re-pair it and test it out.

If that doesn't work, its probably hardware and you should take it back to the Apple store.

Good luck man.

Jun 18, 2013 10:21 AM in response to James4373

Hi there,

I've been having a similar issue with my iMac Keyboard.

Everytime that I turn my keyboard on, my iMac gets kind of crazy. It changes files names, opens the Dashboard, open files.... imagine that the keyboard is with a evil baby typing random keys on the keyboard. Therefore, I can't use my iMac. It just happens when my keyboard is on.

I hope you can help me.

Many thanks,

Francisco

Dec 6, 2013 7:54 PM in response to James4373

Hi There,

I'm having a similiar problem. All my alphabet keys are working fine on my iMac's bluetooth keyboard - however the shortcut keys at the top of the keyboard for brightness, dashboard, play/pause, volume, ect won't work unless I hold down the 'fn' button.

This has only just started happening.

I've got into the Keyboard Shortcuts menu of the Keyboard settings ad tried restoring defaults. However this did not work.

I also tried itsjash' solution with no effect.

If you have any other solutions, please help! 🙂

Cheers,

Ryan

Apple Wireless Keyboard Gone Crazy!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.