Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When Will iMovie Support AVCHD Progressive?

From Wikipedia: "In 2010 Panasonic introduced a new lineup of consumer AVCHD camcorders with 1080-line 50p/60p progressive-scan mode. In 2011 this mode was officially included into the AVCHD specification as part of 2.0 addendum and has been called AVCHD Progressive."

So... is it likely that iMovie will support AVCHD Progressive in the future? I ask because I have a 2012 AVCHD Progressive camcorder, but am considering returning it because iMovie doesn't support a format introduced 2 years ago.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) 12GB RAM

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 6:17 AM

Reuben Feffer wrote:

... is it likely that iMovie will support AVCHD Progressive in the future? ...

FinalCut/express 3.5 didn't support 'AVCHDlite' - but with a simple 'transplantation' of some parts of iM08 it was possible to teach this 'non standard'-codec to FC/e. AVCHD v1 supports only 1080/24p. 25p/30/50p/60p is v2.

I dare to say, due to sheer popularity, AVCHD v2 will find its way to QT/AVF ...

but …

a) this is a user to user board

b) speculation is against ToU

c) those who know don't say.

those who say, don't know.

😉

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2012 6:17 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Reuben Feffer wrote:

... is it likely that iMovie will support AVCHD Progressive in the future? ...

FinalCut/express 3.5 didn't support 'AVCHDlite' - but with a simple 'transplantation' of some parts of iM08 it was possible to teach this 'non standard'-codec to FC/e. AVCHD v1 supports only 1080/24p. 25p/30/50p/60p is v2.

I dare to say, due to sheer popularity, AVCHD v2 will find its way to QT/AVF ...

but …

a) this is a user to user board

b) speculation is against ToU

c) those who know don't say.

those who say, don't know.

😉

Apr 7, 2012 11:26 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Here is a blog post that explains how some people are hacking iMovie to support 60P. I haven't tried this myself so do it at your own risk.

http://ianperegian.com/My_FZ35_38_Webpage/Edit_1080_50p_and_burn_a_disk.html

If I had to guess, I would say that iMovie would support 60P at about the same time when TV sets and BluRay Players start supporting 60P. It gets very confusing for consumers otherwise, who can't understand why their movies will not play. But I have no inside knowledge.

Apr 8, 2012 3:36 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

Reuben Feffer wrote:

... Does Final Cut Pro support frame rates above 30 fps, such as 50 fps and 60 fps?

it does.

but within the 'standards' - …

AVCHD/1080/60p from cam = NoGo

same material as a manually re-wrapped mov = Yes

my 720/60p IS within specs, so direct import and handling possible (I mainly use such material for slowmos, such in my demo here)

Apr 9, 2012 3:06 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

So if you use an app like ClipWrap to rewrap your AVCHD Progressive 1920 x 1080 50 fps .mts files into .mov, you can then import them into Final Cut Pro X and edit them without converting them into AIC or some other intermediate format?

Alternatively, do you know of an app that will take AVCHD Progressive 1920 x 1080 50 fps .mts files, and turn them into AIC files while halving the frame rate down to 25 fps? That way they could be edited in iMovie '11 with no trouble.

Apr 12, 2012 3:49 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

So if you connect an AVCHD Progressive camcorder to Final Cut Pro X, it now shows the 50/60fps clips on your camera, and is able to import them? If that's true, that's really good news. And Final Cut is able to actually edit projects at 50/60fps and output a completed video at that frame rate?

Hopefully the next version of iMovie will also gain this feature, since AVCHD Progressive is a consumer format.

When Will iMovie Support AVCHD Progressive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.