Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Disable Correct Spelling Automatically

I cannot disable the Correct Spelling Automatically feature. Rather, I can, but once I close and reopen the application it will be reenabled. I first noticed the issue when I upgraded from Trillian 1.2.20 to 1.2.40, but I just tested this in TextEdit and the issue exists there as well.

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD 4850

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:25 AM

10 replies

Apr 7, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Philmac88

Philmac88 wrote:

I cannot disable the Correct Spelling Automatically feature. […] I just tested this in TextEdit

There are two settings for it.

One is in Edit > Spelling and Grammar. The other in TextEdit > Preferences > Options.

If you turn off the former and quit, it will be re-enabled when you open TextEdit again.

If you turn off the latter and quit, both should be disabled when you open TextEdit again.

Is this the behaviour you see?

Apr 7, 2012 4:26 PM in response to Philmac88

Philmac88 wrote:

the issue persists in other applications.

Although some people say this is a global setting, that has not been my experience. AFAICT, it's a per-application setting (eg, turning it off in TextEdit does not affect Bean). If it works as expected in TextEdit, then the Cocoa spell checker is functioning normally. You have to change the setting in the application you're using.

Cannot Disable Correct Spelling Automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.