Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! My MacBook Pro's keyboard is not working properly!

Since yesterday, my MacBook Pro's keyboard has not been working properly.

I cannot press some keys. Example, dash key, number five and Ffive as well

Also, the light level is brighter at the G, V, 4 and 7 keys. The rest of the keys are numb.

Please give me some suggestions about what to do with my computer.

More information:

I bought it since December 2011 in Thailand.

I think that's all for my questions. Thanks in advance for answering. 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 9:59 AM

14 replies

May 24, 2017 11:49 AM in response to appleuser13131313

HI and many thanks for the help with this problem. I had never heard of mouse keys or the 5 x alt toggle to turn it on and off. I kept enabling this feature accidentally because I was switching windows with alt-tab as a hotkey. Turns out you can turn off the 5 x alt shortcut by going into System Preferences - Accessibility - Mouse and Trackpad - Options next to Enable Mouse Keys.

User uploaded file

Kind regards,

James

Aug 3, 2013 10:06 AM in response to Ngammekchay Chumphot

Read key problems. My p, 0, return, ?, :, keys would work and then not work. Tried rebooting and every software adjustment mentioned on the support website. Then I read that one person had a problem with the case and had to have it replaced. I figured.....why not. Just use the hammer approach. I dropped my 5 year old MacBook Pro onto the kitchen table. All keys are working as you can see by this message. Weird.

CoalCreek Marty

Dec 31, 2013 3:26 PM in response to DJTMull

DJT,

My keys which fail are on the right hand side of the laptop. I found that I don't have to drop the laptop, but just hit the lower RIGHT corner firmly. Your ALT key is on the left side. Maybe hit your left corner.

Humidity definitely makes the condition worse. Usually no problems here in Colorado, which is dry. Problem initiated in Michigan (humid) and a few weeks ago as soon as I landed in Houston (humid).

CCMarty

Oct 16, 2014 2:36 PM in response to DJTMull

Thank you!! After weeks of having my keyboard simply stop working, with the trackpad still fine, shutting down my computer and rebooting simply to get my keyboard back, you've finally given me a working alternative. I don't know why and what goes on when you hold down the trackpad and double click on the "alt/option" key until I hear the click sound, but it works.

Thank you. I wish more would have reported on this function.

Help! My MacBook Pro's keyboard is not working properly!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.