Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did they remove "Save As..." from Lion? Frustrating!!!

Tried to save my Numbers spreadsheet under a different name. No "Save As..."

So, had to look for an answer. Wasting time...

Found I have to use Duplicate.... what a waste of time! Why do they change stuff that has been standard for years! And it worked! Fixing stuff that wasn't broken!! And then you don't find out about it until you need it.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 9:39 AM

Learn more about Auto Save and Versions

12 replies

Apr 7, 2012 9:40 AM in response to gto49us

This change coincides with Apple's inclusion of "Versions," "Auto-Save," and "Resume" features in Lion. The system is always saving backups of files, and saving the state of your open applications so you can quit applicaitons without specifically saving documents and then be able to resume your work. I think Apple perhaps should have kept the "Save As" option in addition to Duplicate, instead of replacing it; however, it can be used to do a similar thing.

Apr 7, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Duplicate is not really the same thing. At least I haven't found it is. Now I'm very new to Lion and haven't found all of it's New Features yet. But it's frustrating trying to figure out what they've done to Work Flow that has been established for years. For example

I have a spreadsheet that I want to save under a different name... not just the same name with Copy appended. But in Lion... now I'm forced to Duplicate... Here's the Flow now:

------------------------

Duplicate

Close duplicated file

Go to Finder, find the Copy, change the name to the one I want.

Go back to Numbers.

File Open (thank goodness they kept that Control!)

Find the file I just changed the name of

Open

------------------------

Now, is that efficient, or what?

Wasn't it MUCH simpler using "Save As..."!! One step, versus Six!!

What am I missing?

Apr 7, 2012 9:54 AM in response to gto49us

If you duplicate an open document, you can save the duplicate to a new location and then continue working on it (or work on it first and then save it later on). This results in the older version being left as-is, and the duplicate being edited---just as if you had chosen "Save As" to leave the current document untouched and continue edits on a new version.

Alternatively you can duplicate the document and save the duplicate to a new location with the name of your choosing, followed by closing it as a preserved copy of the current document version, and then continue working on the original.

Either way will work, and the approach you use is up to you.

Apr 7, 2012 10:16 AM in response to gto49us

Some of Apple's recent changes in OS X are well-intended and are attempts to be more "nautural" ways of doing things, but based on how people have become accustomed to these features the changes are not always intuitive. To some extent, you almost have to pretend you've never used a computer before in order to see how Apple is trying to make things work.

Apr 7, 2012 11:14 AM in response to Marc Wilson

Wow Marc, that's quite the statement. But the problem is the new OS, not the UI.

I bought a new iMac and ported everything over from my 5 year old iMac, including my Apple applications. My old Mac had Snow Leopard. My new Mac has Lion.

My Pages, Keynote and Numbers programs (iWork '09) were the same ones I was using under SL.

Under Lion, the functionality of the User Interface of the IDENTICAL application now changes... so the UI of the app is dependent on the OS under which it runs.

I guess that's why people would rather switch back to their old OS than purchase new apps from another vendor. And who's to say those UIs won't change under the new OS either...

Apr 10, 2012 4:05 PM in response to gto49us

gto49us wrote:

But the problem is the new OS, not the UI.

The problem has nothign to do with the OS, and everything to do with the application. The application developer (Apple) made a design decision to use Lion API's when they were available. The OS isn't somehow forcing the application to change how it operates.

If you don't want iWork doing what it's doing, re-install it from your CD, then patch it back up to the current version, MINUS the Lion-compatability update.

Not hard at all.

Why did they remove "Save As..." from Lion? Frustrating!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.