Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 17" 2.4 GHz does turbo boost?

I am planning to get a Macbook Pro 17" and It seems im just itching to get one but i also want to know if the 17 inch 2.4Ghz does turbo boost cause it says on the 17" 2.5 GHz it does 3.6GHz on turboboost with 8mb of l3 cache. Generally Im just asking can the 2.4 GHz version of MBP 17" do Turboboost and what would be the speed when truboboost is active if ever it has one?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 11:17 AM

yes, it has "hyperthreading/turbo boost 2.0". Even my Early 2011 13" MBP has it.

4 replies

Apr 7, 2012 11:26 AM in response to MZHD

Yes, it is an intrinsic feature of the i7 CPU. However, unless doing very specialized computations taking place just in the CPU, other components (RAM, disk I/O, inter-thread contention for the L2 cache, etc.) will bottleneck and the turbo boost will be sporadic. IMHO, the cost of the 2.5GHz option is not worth the extra 100MHz and MB of cache, you don't really get much benefit from it. Better spend that on upgrading the memory to 16GB instead, which Apple won't sell you but does work; that's a boost you WILL feel, especially running a 64bit OS.

Be sure to get a 7200 RPM HDD, or an SSD, if you want boost. The I/O contention waiting for the storage device is the main bottleneck in all computers.

Apr 7, 2012 11:45 AM in response to wjosten

HA HA! 😁 Death Star FTW!!

Talking about boosts, back in the Fink universe ( http://www.finkproject.org ) Dr. Hansen and the core developers had to eliminate parallel builds and force the GCC compiler to go single-threaded cause inter-thread collisions and contention was causing build failures when compiling programs of any level of complexity. Even in such rarefied conditions, turbo boosting was of limited usefulness on one piddly thread.

MBP 17" 2.4 GHz does turbo boost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.