Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting a Thunderbolt drive

I'm trying to set up a Lacie Thunderbolt drive as my recording drive from a Macbook Pro. At present the 4TB drive is configured as Raid 0, Extended Journaled. But I see Apple advising that a recording drive should be Unjournaled. Yet when I try to select 'Unjournaled' from the file menu for this drive in Disk Utility, that option is greyed out.

Any views on where I should go?

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 1:03 PM

No answer on the formatting... Just wanted to say I have a 2TB LaCie Thunderbolt HD and I'm using it as Plug and Play right out of the box. I have separate HD's for Audio & Video. Seems all of my HD's are Journaled. No problems to report.

8 replies

Apr 7, 2012 2:28 PM in response to byzantine

Journaling only protects the smaller files, it will not save an audio track or protect large files. If Logic crashes while recording.. your audio files will be toast no matter the formatting.

And... Journaling does affect performance if you're recording many tracks at the same time. If you have a studio that's recording 8, 12, or 16 tracks at once I can recommend formatting the drive with Journaling off. I've had ALL (including system) my hard drives formatted with Journaling off for years, never a problem.

Apr 7, 2012 4:26 PM in response to Blueberry

Since I pretty much know.. that you know what you're talking about.. I won't press the point.

However, I agree that journaling is a good idea on a system drive and in fact it may help preserve disk integrity resulting from a system crash I maintain that it offers absolutely no benefit to a drive used exclusively for audio.

And, if you haven't tested it... try recording 12 tracks (approx 7-10 minutes worth) to a journaled drive, next, try the same test to the same drive formatted with journaling off.

Formatting a Thunderbolt drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.