Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I do not need another wireless network but want to use the airport express for printer access only. Can this be done and how?

I do not need another wireless network but want to use the airport express for printer access only. Can this be done and how?

AirPort Express-OTHER, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 12:46 PM

7 replies

Apr 7, 2012 3:35 PM in response to buttdavey

You can configure the AirPort Expess to "Join a wireless network" and enable the Ethernet port so that Ethernet devices will be able to connect.

In order to print from the iOS devices, you will need to have an application like Printopia installed on your Mac. The Mac must be active when you want to print.

More details here: Printopia - AirPrint to Any Printer - Print from iPad - Print from iPhone ...

There is a free trial available for Printopia, so make sure that it will work before you buy the AirPort Express.

Apr 8, 2012 8:59 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the input...but my iPad and iPhones do not see my printer. I have ste up the AE as a wireless client by joining my existing wireless network and all went well. Light is green and printer shows up in the AirPort Utility on my pc. I guess because it is not "airprint" compatable my iPad and iPhone do not recognize the printer???

I have read alot of conflicting posts as to whether or not using AirPort will work as well as whether or not any apps will work. Looks like I my need to buy another printer if it becomes that important.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.