Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete duplicate photos in iphoto

How do I use iPhoto to find and delete duplicate photos automatically?

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 2:48 PM

15 replies

Sep 14, 2012 8:09 PM in response to kilgrey

You do not have to pay for anything - iPhoto is what it is - use it or don't

As to "should have been included" -- who says - maybe since you know better than Apple you should write your own photo application that is perfect and then you can run the world's biggest company out of business because of your personal brilliance

LN

Dec 18, 2012 8:14 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry? take the stick out. We get it, you want people to buy your Dupe Annhilator software.

I'm coming from a PC back ground. Macs are new to me. And I'm not looking for a PC vs Mac debate, but a basic function in windows is that you can copy 10,000 photos from one folder to another and if there are duplicates in the destination folder windows notifies you and gives you the option to copy/replace, copy/remane or not move those images. I assumed since Apple is run by such "brillance" they would be ahead of the pack and would reconize if an image has already imported.

And now it seems iPhoto wants to sync with each iOS device. So it appears to import my iPad iStream and my iPhone iStream photos along with the ones that it already has and then it makes another copy when i connect the device to my mac. So i have 4+ copies of the same image. It should not be this complicated. You don't have to be CEO to figure that out.

"who says?" seriously? you have to ask. you've been pushing your app all of the forums whenever someone complains about duplicates and you have ask "who says?" The fact that the app even exist is reason enough that iPhoto should do it. It shows there is demand.

:-)

Dec 18, 2012 9:32 PM in response to kilgrey

Kilgrey - you need to remove several sticks from the lower rear of your body

1 - I have NO INTEREST IN ANY SOFTWARE - financial or otherwise - if I did I would disclose it as required by the TOU of these forums

2 - I am a volunteer and offer help to people wanting it - if you do not like it THEN GO AWAY AND SHUT UP - You ARE RUDE and so far have NOT EVER HELPED a single person on these forum

3 - making totally FALSE accuseations is over the line

LN

Dec 18, 2012 11:04 PM in response to kilgrey

I'm coming from a PC back ground. Macs are new to me. And I'm not looking for a PC vs Mac debate, but a basic function in windows is that you can copy 10,000 photos from one folder to another and if there are duplicates in the destination folder windows notifies you and gives you the option to copy/replace, copy/remane or not move those images. I assumed since Apple is run by such "brillance" they would be ahead of the pack and would reconize if an image has already imported.

This works on your Mac too, exactly as you describe. Pretty brilliant. However, that's in the file browser. You're talking about iPhoto and Photographs, not the Finder and files.

You know, using iPhoto isn't mandatory, use something else if you want to.

Dec 18, 2012 11:28 PM in response to LarryHN

I just checked. No sticks found.

I apologize for accusing you. But it wouldn't be that far fetch for a rep to do so. Millions of people come here looking for something to solve their problems, so why not advertise a software solution. They get help and someone gets paid. I was upset after iPhoto frustrated me so much only to come here looking for help and I'm told I need to buy additional software for a feature that was common on a PC. Which apparently something Terence says can be done. I'll try it shortly and report my findings.

Now the rudeness was in response to the way you replied with your "help" from the second post. Lets recap...

"You do not have to pay for anything - iPhoto is what it is - use it or don't"

- not the nicest why to help someone. The Mac is new to me and you have to admit apple wants users to use their software. As soon as you plug in your device iPhoto starts. I have no idea how to customize a Mac. If one of my customer service reps responded in such a way they would be unemployed. Good thing you volunteer.

"As to "should have been included" -- who says - maybe since you know better than Apple you should write your own photo application that is perfect and then you can run the world's biggest company out of business because of your personal brilliance"

- this is the part that prompted my rude response. Companies add features all the time based on user complaints. And as you noticed, I'm not the only person looking for help on the matter. Telling me to go write my own software? Thats not over the line? Really? That's your way of helping others. Again, good thing you're a volunteer.

Macs are new to me, so is it shocking that I haven't helped anyone? But now I feel prompted to do so. As I learn, I will help people when I can.

I didn't want to battle, I came here looking for help. Like what Terence offered. This thread was started in anger, I would rather it not end that way.

Dec 18, 2012 11:57 PM in response to Yer_Man

Larry - i want to take back the "good thing you're a volunteer" snark. i was bit angry. but i read through your past and current postings and it is a good thing you do what you do. You are helpful. not as friendly as some, but still helpful.

Terence - Thanks for the tip. I started try what you suggested. but realized I'm missing something. The issue seems to occur when i plug in a iDevice. iPhoto wants to import all of the pictures from the device and then gives me the option to delete them from the device. Which is fine, but I don't always want to do that. The problem seems to be, that it imports the photos from the photostream on the phone, and then again from the ipad and if I have photostream turned on on the mac I get 3 or 5 duplicates somehow.

I'm guessing if I was to copy my photos to the mac with out using iPhoto i could use the move trick to eliminate importing the duplicates? Is that what I should be doing?

Obviously i don't know how to use it properly, but I switched to a Mac after hearing how intuitive it was to use. I've got some work to do it seems. Thanks again to both of you guys. sorry for my rudeness.

Dec 19, 2012 12:48 AM in response to kilgrey

The issue seems to occur when i plug in a iDevice.

If you're using Photostream you then don't plug-in the iDevice and import from it. Photostream is a replacement for plugging-in-and-importing.

You don't have to import everything. In the Import window in iPhoto just click on one, two or more items - note the 'Import Selected' button becomes available top right?

The top of that WIndow should also be labelled 'New Photos'. Is it?

You can move items from your iDevice/Camera whatever to your Mac with Image Capture (in your Applications Folder)

Dec 19, 2012 1:03 AM in response to Yer_Man

On the phone/pad photostream only keeps 1000 photos. Is that not the case on the mac? not only was i trying to avoid a 5th copy on my mac, i was afraid it would auto delete the older images like the phone and ipad does.

I import everything because i can't remember what i already imported. in the beginning i just assumed iPhoto would know what was already imported.

I'm backing everything up now as Larry suggested, and will experiment with your suggestions more. I want to try the Image Capture option next time.

thank again for your help.

Dec 19, 2012 1:12 AM in response to kilgrey

Have a read of this page:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

Keeping a complete set of your photos on your Mac is as simple as turning on Photo Stream in iPhoto or Aperture. Every new photo you take appears in a Photo Stream album just as it does on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. But since your Mac has more storage than your iOS device, it automatically imports every picture from your Photo Stream into your photo library so you can edit, delete, and share the ones you want.

When they're deleted from Photostream they're not deleted from your Mac...

Regards

TD

Jun 10, 2013 6:56 AM in response to jfgrcar

Even after I clean up my IMac's Events and albums and then do all synching ok my three Apple mobiles, I am left with maybe a dozen or so photos, some in iPhoto photos and some on Photos photos that I don't want, some of them just blank grey areas where photos were. In my one-to-one sessions no one has been able to figure out to delete the unwanted photos in both. We tried hiding in iPhoto, then deleting from Photo.

Bottom line for me. I have over 500 photos on all devices most of which I want. I do my clean ups on iMac and then synch devices. For the oat part it works. Also when I am sure I want photos gone fo iMac I delete iPhoto trash, since I suspect that may also account for few remaining I wanted. I only have 15 hiddens nowon my mobiles. Some may have been FB folders shown as photos since I cleaned up my FB photos too.

Apple, has no idea how to get rid of this fifteen or so still on my mobiles. I will live with that since I have all my significant photos stored as events on iMac and when I add to events, I immediately clean them from photostream. Keeping that clean, too, helps.

delete duplicate photos in iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.