Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a iMac with a SSD hard drive that will not wake unless I cut the power electrically an then power on with the on button

9 month old iMac with a SSDH hard drive that will go to sleep and not wake unless I cut the power and then restart with the on button on the computer. No matter if its 10 minunites or 2 hours. Just started this month.

304 GHz Intel Corei7, 8GB ram, runinng 10.7.3

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 3:07 PM

8 replies

Apr 7, 2012 3:20 PM in response to Dra1010

Reset the SMC > Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Reset the PRAM and NVRAM > Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Recheck your Bluetooth Preferences if you are using wireless (keyboard, mouse or trackpad) input devices to wake the iMac.

User uploaded file

Apr 9, 2012 10:17 PM in response to X423424X

I set the hibernatemode from 3 to 0 and now when sleep I have to do a full restart to use the computer. Set the energy saver to never sleep and display to sleep 1 hour. I still do not understand why this happend all of a sudden. Normally when it went to sleep the mouse or keyboard would restart with no problem.

Apr 9, 2012 11:15 PM in response to Dra1010

The reason I suggested turning hibernate off was because there was a problem (the one you described) last year with hibernate sleep with OWC ssd's using the SandForce firmware. OWC eventually issued a firmware update.

I just was guessing that your ssd had the Sandforce firmware with that problem. Hence my suggestion.

So how did hibernatemode get to be 3 in the first place? Hibernate may make sense on a portable but I don't really think it is necessary for a desktop.

Mar 9, 2013 2:52 PM in response to Rudegar

I'm new to the Mac world, having just bought the 27" iMac last year right before Mountain Lion was released. I always shut down my iMac whenever I'm done with it, and after reading some of these posts, not sure if this is the correct thing to do or not. My issue may be the same as above, but right after I purchased it, I had not used it within a few days, and when I went to turn it on, it would not come on. I took it back, and the techs unplugged it from the back of the machine, held in the power button for a few seconds, plugged it back in, and it came right on. I've found myself having to do this anytime the machine has been not used in a few days. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro, and the sales guy said that this was not normal. I don't know if I should take it back, and have it replaced, or if there is a setting I maybe need to reset???

I have a iMac with a SSD hard drive that will not wake unless I cut the power electrically an then power on with the on button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.