Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get iPhoto videos in iMovie

When you upload pics and video from you iphone, all the video showa up under one tab for iPhoto video. How do you move that video over as an event in iMovie? If you can do that, is there any need to keep the iPhoto video copy?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 8:04 PM

You can drag them into the "Event Library"(bottom left) in imovie, from iphoto.

Once it's in imovie, you don't have to keep a copy unless you want to.

If you want video from iphone to go straight into imovie, have imovie open before you plug iphone in.

9 replies

Apr 9, 2012 6:07 AM in response to Cumby

I am not quite sure on a more preferred favorable format, other than MOV, AVI which works great for me.

They're some Advanced users on this forum, that might chime in, who can answer in detail on that.

Here are a couple links that will explain more on importing video that i hope can help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2114

http://mac.bigresource.com/iMovie-11-looking-for-video-formats-supported-by-it-- uCK5Rmzxk.html

iMovie '09, '11 supports most commonly-used video codecs, including DV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, and AIC.

At the top of this forum, there are also helpful links under, Helpful Apple Support Resources, that might help you with more of your imovie project. I hope it all works out for you, and that this helps. Sidekick

Jul 11, 2012 9:11 PM in response to 1Sidekick

Hi Sidekick,

Do you (or anyone else) know if iMovie can prompt you to delete the video files off of the phone (as iPhoto does) before dismounting the device? Otherwise, it seems that you are then forced to manually do so by hand in the cameral roll on the device.

Additionally, I learned from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyHksf02bs (about 1/2 way in)...

...that copying video events within iMovie (from drive to drive) can be done by clicking and dragging the event, but by holding down the command button while doing so truly moves the project without leaving the original copy in place. This is what I would really like to do in iPhoto. "Move" the videos from iPhoto to iMovie so I don't have to keep track of each copy session and then go back and delete.

I've tried holding command with no luck. Also tried cut and paste, but it won't paste into iMovie. You can certainly "move to trash", but it sure would be nice if it had a "move to iMovie" option.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Rob

Jul 11, 2012 9:52 PM in response to musicrob

quick update...

I think I found one way to do this, but since I have over 1,500 movie clips in iPhoto I may hold off until I get some secondary opinions and hopefully alternate options...

I created an album in iPhoto called "Move to iMovie". Then, I have a smart album in iPhoto with criteria to capture all MOV and MP4 files. This gathers all movies together.

Now, I'm able to copy the movies from the smart album over to the standard album. From the standard album, I could copy all of the videos (or in sections) over to iMovie by dragging from app to app. Then, I could delete all (or in sections) of the movies files from within the album in iPhoto to the trash...realizing one cannot delete files from a smart album.

I think this process would work, but I'm hesitant to try and move too many movie files at once, so I think I'll plan to do this in batches. That is unless someone here has any other ideas?

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2012 11:20 AM in response to wayne mitzner

OK, so here's an update.

I found the only way that i could get it to work was to quit iMovie, then reopen it. On opening, it will ask if you want to import iPhoto movie thumbnails. Say yes, and after a few minutes the new iPhoto movies will be in the events pane of iMovie. Seems like a crazy inefficient system, but the drag and drop doesn't seem to work in v 10.6.8 with iMovie 09.

How to get iPhoto videos in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.