Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I really need to BUY Lion to create bootable DVD/USB?

Hello, all.

I need to create a bootable Lion DVD or USB flash drive so that I can repair my internal drive. I just bought this new MacBook Pro (late 2011) and it - obviously - came with Lion installed. Do I really need, as the two articles I've found cite, to BUY Lion (again, sort of) to create bootable media?

Any help, suggestions, support, or answers (particularly) would be greatly appreciated.

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3), 8 GB RAM

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 10:59 PM

6 replies

Apr 8, 2012 3:19 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

No you do not need to buy it but you do need to download the install files from Apple and SAVE them. Then you can create a a DVD or USB thumb drive of the install files.

Try this link for the method that has worked for me to get those files and save them then create the USB drive.

Use LionDiskMaker 1.7b to create the USB drive. Works real well.

10.7: How to get a full Lion install disc for a new MacBook Air or Pro - Mac OS X Hints

Apr 8, 2012 5:37 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

clintonfrombirmingham wrote:

Hello, all.

I need to create a bootable Lion DVD or USB flash drive so that I can repair my internal drive.

This statement confuses me. You don't need anything to repair your internal drive. Just hold down cmd-r on restart and boot into the recovery HD. Are you aware of the Recovery HD? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Now, if you want something to boot from if yiou ever need to swap drives, you can try any one of the noted options. Even then, your Mac should be able to boot into the Internet Recovery without a bootable drive at all. That does require good internet access, but is another option.

Asside from all that, a clone would be a good option (as already mentioned) to have if you don't want to be saddled with downloading Lion again to reinstall.

Do I really need to BUY Lion to create bootable DVD/USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.