Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No message or ring tone when iPhone 4 on charge

Hi all,

My wife has an iPhone 4 with which we've been having an issue.

If it'd either plugged into Apple charger or a Sony digitasl radio/dock, whilst charging there are no message tones activated if a message is received.

Checked and there's nothing in any settings to indicate that it's a turn on/off feature.

Last software update was about a week and a half ago, but this has been happening for 3 - 4 months, through a few updates now.

Anyone have any ideas? She doesn't want to do a restore, as it takes forever to get it back to the way she wants it. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard anyway, there's no reason it shouldn't work right just as it is.

Cheers.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 10:05 PM

8 replies

Apr 29, 2012 3:06 AM in response to ckuan

Yeah, that was covered when I stated "Checked and there's nothing in any settings to indicate that it's a turn on/off feature...

My question was meant to indicate that AFTER all the settings had been checked (to confirm that there is actually a tone assigned, and the volume is set), does anyone know of a reason why this would happen to a fully updated iPhone 4S but not to a fully updated 3GS?

I'd appreciate any input that ISN'T simply "Did you check the settings?" because, yes, I've checked the settings. No, we don't want to do a reset, but we shouldn't have to. It takes a stupidly large amount of time to get the phone back to the way it's required, because it seems iTunes isn't capable of distinguishing between the 4 different devices which access the same account, so all apps are synced with all devices on restores. Every device gets all apps every time, and there are hundreds as 4 people use the account. Or so we've found. But that's not the issue here.

It's that something is happening to a 4S that does NOT happen to a 3GS. That doesn't sound right to me. Does anyone have any actual help which seems to address or at least explain why the 4S fails to give a notify sound for messages whilst on charge? Again, just gone through all settings I can find, and there's nothing which indicates tyhis is a switchable option. Side by side, 4S and 3GS screens are identical when checking, yet this issue remains.

Apr 29, 2012 3:42 AM in response to Deckland

My question was meant to indicate that AFTER all the settings had been checked (to confirm that there is actually a tone assigned, and the volume is set), does anyone know of a reason why this would happen to a fully updated iPhone 4S but not to a fully updated 3GS?

Even they both have the same version does not men they have the same features. Hardware and Software are different (eg, FaceTime works only on 4/4S not 3GS)

I'd appreciate any input that ISN'T simply "Did you check the settings?" because, yes, I've checked the settings. No, we don't want to do a reset, but we shouldn't have to. It takes a stupidly large amount of time to get the phone back to the way it's required, because it seems iTunes isn't capable of distinguishing between the 4 different devices which access the same account, so all apps are synced with all devices on restores. Every device gets all apps every time, and there are hundreds as 4 people use the account. Or so we've found. But that's not the issue here.

I am not sitting next to you so I just want to be sure that your settings are correct before we continue.

Doing a reset might get rid of some problems (data) left behind by some apps. If you refuses to do, well, it's up to you.

For your info: My iPhone 4S gave notifications ON/OFF charge so it must be on your end and not a bug which will affect more users. As for iTunes, I have 3 iPhone (3G, 3GS and 4S), 2 iPod Touches (4g) syncing with one computer (iMac) and they all have different IOS as well as apps and I don't have any problem whatsoever.

No message or ring tone when iPhone 4 on charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.