Skip navigation

use existing windows hard drive in mac pro with boot camp

947 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 3:53 AM by GreekGeek1157 RSS
GreekGeek1157 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 7, 2012 10:56 PM

Can I use an existing windows xp installation from a windows computer> In other words, I have a windows computer with XP Pro service pack 2 on it. I want to take that hard drive and put it in my mac pro and then use it through boot camp. Could'nt I just install the boot camp drivers on it? Thank you in advance.

• The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (58,595 points)

No.

Windows won't reactivate.

It has the wrong drivers - and that will cause crash and nver be stable.

Apple now supports with good reason Windows 7 and depending but you need 64-bit Windows Pro.

They'll be fine (unless they are 16-bit, in which case run a Windows VM).

Because 32-bit does not make good use of and manage memory, and you would only get less than 3GB available, you want 64-bit (there is next to zilch reason for 32-bit OS at this point).

When Vista came out in 2006-7 there were 64-bit drivers and the adoption rate. Not now.

Acronis does not play well with Macs. It might on a dedicated Windows drive, but I know and use Paragon Hard Disk MGR 12 $49 and also their $20 Clone OS to HDD (makes a bootable clone so you can use either disk but it is 'whole disk" OS only.

I'd get the 4-core 2.8, and not a 2.4GHz 2.4 is not standard, it might be in 8-core or something.

People are upgrading cpu to W3680 $589 DIY

RAM: 2 x 8GB with room to grow. The sweet spot for CS5.5 is to have 24GB RAM to play with so depending.... 4 x 8GB would still be possible later. And CS5/6 under Windows for some... and ability to use GTX 680 or even 580.

CS4 is not a good idea but then I have not seen anyone - it is 10.5 era version and CS5.x is now Cocoa code base plus 64-bit - that helps a lot.

www.macperformanceguide.com has a lot to offer in ideas.

Know that your Mac Pro can run those Windows apps in a VM like VirtualBox without breaking a sweat too.

I'd get it stock and then add an SSD or two as you can afford to.

OWC has SSD on PCIe $500 for 1TB.

might even want to look at this $2119

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

Last week for 'an hour' there was an 6-core 3.33 for $3195 too

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.