Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems in changing Thousand's separator appearance

I am having problems in changing the thousands separator appearance. I am based out of India and here the thousands separator works in format - 1,00,00,000 (i.e. 2 digits after last 3 digits). I want to change this into standard 3 digit thousands separator - 1,000,000,000. However not able to do this. Kindly suggest any workaround for this.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 11:57 PM

5 replies

Apr 8, 2012 12:46 AM in response to PrashKot

Yes! You can definitely change and customize integers.

Its a little tricky to explain how you have to do this in the Numbers interface but follow below:

Select cells or table > open Inspector > select Cells tab (4th from the left) > Use the drop down list under "Cell Format" and select "Custom" at the bottom....

From here you can edit your own intergers by dragging elements from below onto the field above (See example below). Don't worry if the elements do NOT match what you want below... You add the element by dragging it, THEN once in the field you can click on it and edit how many digits there are, as represented by '#' simply by pressing Up and Down on the keyboard, Or clicking on its own little drop down arrow to access features like "Remove separator". Then in between these elements simply type a comma " , " and drag the next element, keep editing away like that and you should get something like what I have below:

User uploaded file

Feel free to ask any more questions PrashKot :]

Oct 16, 2012 6:47 AM in response to PrashKot

In Mountain Lion, the system preference is:

System Preferences/Language & Text/Region

Set Region to India and Currency to Indian Rupee

If Numbers was open, close it and reopen it for the change to take effect.

Alternatively, if you don't want this to be a system-wide preference, you can choose Indian Rupee as the currency format for the cells in Numbers and they will be formatted correctly. No need to make a custom format.

Problems in changing Thousand's separator appearance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.