Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird circles in Aluminium?

Hi there!

About 6 monthts ago i bought my first MBP - and yes, i love it, but..

As we all know Apple products is supposed to be great "quality". A short time ago I spotted some weirds "circles" on my MBP at spot where you place your hands when using the keyboard.

The first two pictures is showing the circles - one on each side. The pictures is taken with my iPhone 4 flashlight turned ON. The weird thing about the circles is that they are only visible when the light comes from a certain angle - i discovered them sitting in a train with the sun coming from the window.

When the light is'nt from the "right" side it's sometimes impossible to see the circles, meaning that it's not something made by myself. It's not a scratch making these circles, it's more like something cosmetic with the aluminium.

The two last pictures shows my MBP without "the right light" showing that the circles is almost impossible to see.

This might not be a serious problem, but knowing that i bought an Apple product thinking i'll get some great quality and end up getting something like this irritates me.

What would you do - and what do you think Apple will do?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 2:36 AM

5 replies

Apr 8, 2012 3:43 AM in response to MadsLykke

Your photos aren't distinct enough for us to guess what might have caused the marks, and we (or anyone else) would probably need to see them in person to venture a guess about that. All we can see is that they exist. And there's no point in asking us to guess what Apple might do or say about them, because you can easily find out by asking Apple and showing the marks to them.

If I were Apple, I'd wonder how you could have failed to notice the marks for six months if they were there from the beginning, and I'd suspect they were the result of something that had happened to the machine during your ownership, rather than a manufacturing defect.

Apr 8, 2012 6:46 AM in response to Zyriab

I've read elsewhere on these forums that the acidity in some peoples skins can cause marks in the aluminium casing of MBPs.

This is true, but such marking takes the form of scattered black, corroded pits in the aluminum surface of the wrist rests, not light marks of any sort.

Apr 8, 2012 8:35 AM in response to eww

eww wrote:

Your photos aren't distinct enough for us to guess what might have caused the marks, and we (or anyone else) would probably need to see them in person to venture a guess about that. All we can see is that they exist. And there's no point in asking us to guess what Apple might do or say about them, because you can easily find out by asking Apple and showing the marks to them.

If I were Apple, I'd wonder how you could have failed to notice the marks for six months if they were there from the beginning, and I'd suspect they were the result of something that had happened to the machine during your ownership, rather than a manufacturing defect.

Well, I was creating this thread to get some information about the "issue". I tryed Googleing about this, but i could'nt find anything like it.

If course I'll call Apple, but today they're closed.

I noticed the one in the right side maybe one or two months ago. But I've been to busy to do anything about it.

Yesterday i discovered the one on the left side, and figured i had to do something about it - meaning it would be pretty easy to miss the spot if you don't move around with your laptop alot.

Weird circles in Aluminium?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.