Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is MacUpdate.com/ a legitimate site?

Does anyone know if MacUpdate.com/ is a legitimate site, because I wanted to download Soundflower and linein, but afraid their might be malware in them because malware has been infected Mac's a lot recently.

Does anyone know?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 5:37 AM

43 replies

Jul 31, 2017 7:43 AM in response to iQuestion27

I don't know if this will post since someone said this topic is closed, but on my old - very old - iMac 24", I had a complete system failure. I contacted Apple and the Apple guy said the problem was MacKeeper. He advised me to download Malwarebytes and took me through the steps.

Malwarebytes came via MacUpdate, which I wasn't aware of until I started getting e-mails from MacUpdate.

As it turned out, the problem with my old iMac was two-fold and had nothing whatever to do with MacKeeper: 1. the video card was failing (the machine, after all, was 9+ years old) and 2. the reason why my system was so slow was because I'd exceeded the processor's capacity when upgrading my O/S (Yosemite was the last O/S update).

A few more questions about the age of the computer and processor type would have at least solved the mystery of the second problem. I grant you that it's harder to assess a hardware problem over the phone, but I gave a clear, real-time account of what was happening on my computer and a real Apple technical person should have had some idea of what it was (I suspect he was working from a book and not from actual first hand knowledge).

I agree that MacKeeper ***** and I won't install it on my new computer. The Apple guy told me to remove MacKeeper (which I did but I don't remember how, since there was no uninstall option that I could find, as others have mentioned) and then, at his direction, I installed Malwarebytes (from Macupdate) - or tried to because at that point the video card failed entirely.

MacUpdate and MacKeeper are two separate entities.

And just to point this out, I'm on the MacUpdate site right now and there are no ad banners at all.

Jul 31, 2017 6:29 PM in response to canajaneh

Malwarebytes came via MacUpdate, which I wasn't aware of until I started getting e-mails from MacUpdate.

Get MalwareBytes from <https://www.malwarebytes.org/>

For your other questions, you should start a new post (see the "Post" button at the top of this web page). I'm assuming you are using Lion, if not, please make your new post in the forum that matches your operating system release.

Apr 8, 2012 8:47 PM in response to iQuestion27

MacUpdate is one of the most well known and respected Mac software communities around - they have been in business for over 16 years, bringing together Mac users and developers of all kinds. In most cases, the software download links link directly to the developer's servers, and all app submissions are reviewed rigorously by their content team 24/7.

Apr 8, 2012 9:43 PM in response to chadatmacupdate

the software download links link directly to the developer's servers, and all app submissions are reviewed rigorously by their content team 24/7.

Really? Why would the first entry be for a bit torrent site

User uploaded file

which, when searched for, returns this result from WOT:

User uploaded file

If WOT does not find the site trustworthy, I certainly would not go there - yet your site recommends it?

And, prominently displayed, your site offers the worst software available for a Mac:

User uploaded file

And you expect me to find your site trustworthy?

Apr 14, 2012 5:33 AM in response to babowa

Transmission is a popular BitTorrent client app, not a site. It is actively developed, and is used by hundreds of thousands of Mac users. The download for the app comes directly from the developer's site, just as I stated. WOT gives the developer's site very high ratings (http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/transmissionbt.com) and also gives MacUpdate.com very high ratings (http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/macupdate.com), so I am not sure what you are referring to.

MacUpdate does run banner ads from paying developers to help support our site, which is free to use. Free accounts on the site also have the option to turn off banner ads. MacKeeper heavily advertises their products on many sites. MacUpdate does not endorse or condone any app or ad on the site, but they do vet and curate app submissions. MacUpdate actively promotes and encourages user-developer interaction via the reviews and comments on the site - if you have a particular problem with an app, feel free to say so on the site. This is another reason that the site is trustworthy - members of the Mac community are quick to let other know about great apps as well as crappy ones in the comments and reviews. For example, many users like Transmission, as you can read for yourself - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19378/transmission.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Apr 8, 2012 10:08 PM in response to chadatmacupdate

Chadatmacupdate,

At least your username clues others in on your affiliation with MacUpdate but, as I interpret the terms of use, your post does not follow the guidelines:

No advertising. Do not use the Site to sell or market your products to others and do not post a URL unless it directly answers a user's question. If any portion of your Submission, including any posted URL, results in any accrual of compensation or benefit to you, you must note this in your post by stating, "I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link."

Any number of companies could come here and write glowing reviews of their products (or web sites) if the terms and conditions did not prevent it. I think your glowing review of MacUpdate borders on viloating the terms and conditions, if not outright violating them.

Apr 8, 2012 10:30 PM in response to babowa

Babowa,

This type of criticism is not very warranted. Bittorrent is a valid P2P technology, even though because of its decentralization people use it for quite a bit of illegitimate activity. As for MacKeeper, the criticism and description of it as malware is also incorrect. Even though it is not the best software and has questionable advertising practices, it is not malware as many claim. This is false, just like people claiming Macs now have "viruses" because of recent malware outbreaks is false.

MacUpdate has been one of the few good software distribution resources for the Mac that does a pretty good job, similar to VersionTracker and CNET's Download.com (both of which have merged to the latter). If folks need to download updates or software for OS X, then they can go to any of these sites to get the files they need and be sure to not run into malware.

I'm certain that should an advertiser link to true malware for any of these sites, that the sites would immediately remove the links and issue profuse apologies and remedies for damage done. So far this has not happened, and should not happen. Since MacKeeper is legitimate software, even though people may frown upon it there is no reason to blacklist its advertisements and promote bias against it--that is up to the reviews and end users in discussion among themselves.

Apr 8, 2012 10:40 PM in response to Badunit

For me it would also include the fact that their employees/site owners advertise here (without the requisite disclaimer) while defending offering bit torrent sites. Most such sites offer pirated software, so I do not find anyone recommending that trustworthy.

I had an unwelcome incident with MacKeeper - someone hacked into my Yahoo Inbox and when I clicked on the tab, I was redirected to a Russian site which rendered my Mac completely unresponsive except for the site having taken over my Mac. I finally had to wipe and reinstall to be sure no trace of it remained. I would not tust anyone who advertises such malware.

Apr 8, 2012 10:40 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Topher,

I agree with most of your post and I have no first-hand knowledge of MacKeeper so my opinions of it are based on what I've read here plus all the annoying popup ads for it that tick me off so much they ensure I will never buy it. The only disagreement I have with your post is that companies need to be careful about other companies they affiliate themselves with. This includes advertisements that may appear on the company's web site. Blacklisting advertising for a "legitimate" piece of software is within the bounds of good business sense if the software gets bad reviews from users. It appears MacUpdate is fine with MacKeeper, or at least satisfied enough to accept their money. My opinion differs but that's all it is, my opinion.

Is MacUpdate.com/ a legitimate site?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.