Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to OpenDirectory failed Error 21

Hello,

i tried this afternoon to connect two Mac OX Lion Clients ( macbook pro ) to our existing Mac MIni Server Opendirectory.

In both caes i got the error message:

Die Verbindung zum Verzeichnisserver konnte nicht hergestellt werden. – 2100

The Lion server is running and our other two clients can use network accounts without any problem.

The certificate at serverside is self signed and all machines are running Lion and are updated to current relaese level.

Any help or suggestion what to try next ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Macbook Pro Open Directory SSL

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 10:24 AM

4 replies

Apr 8, 2012 10:38 AM in response to quax088

did you add the self signed certifcate to the client system keychain? if so, did you set it to always trust?

did you set the time server to the OS X Lion Server?

Did you try adding the client by system prefrences, accounts, login options, join?

Did you try adding the client by directory utility?

Did you try rebuilding the KDC on the client?

if your still having trouble you might want to try enabling logigng on the client. And see if you can learn more about the error message. Mac OS X Server v10.5, 10.6: Enabling Directory Service debug logging explains how to do so.

Apr 13, 2012 7:39 AM in response to TeenTitan

No I didn't add my self signed certificate to keychain. It is already there for mail , adressbook and caldav.

It is set to "trust allways".

Time server shows the identical time on Lion server and the client machine(s).

Yes I did it the way you describes in your email system preferences, accounts ....

Excuse me please : What is meant by directory utility ?

No I didn't try to rebuild key distribution center. Should I do ?

I will setup logging tomorrow morning and hope to provide useful information

Thank you

Aug 4, 2012 8:53 PM in response to quax088

I had this same problem, with the same error. I also don't know what "adding the client by directory utility" means. I also don't know how "rebuilding the KDC on the client" is done. Can you elaborate?? What is "KDC"? What is "directory utility"? Thanks for any clarifications you (or anyone) can provide.

Aug 6, 2012 6:03 AM in response to pts

Hello,

I used KDC as an abrevation to Key Distribution Center. directory utility is found through system prerefereces or beneath Programs in the subdirectory utilities.

I solved my problem by a fresh installation of my macbook using an existing backup from time capsule.

This approach was sucessful and the user was happy with it.

Connect to OpenDirectory failed Error 21

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.