Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set Preview to default to .jpg and Best quality when saving?

I have seen this asked numerous times over the last six years, but no satisfactory answers.

When I open graphic files with preview (regardless of type), I want to crop them, then "Save as"

I want Preview to default to .jpg format AND Best quality. Can I set these attributes?

Please don't suggest "sliding the quality bar..." as I've seen many do. That's not what I want to do - I'm asking about DEFAULTS.

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 1:36 PM

8 replies

Aug 15, 2017 11:56 PM in response to scoobydoo99

I tried as well. Company makes more $ selling bigger hard drives. So bigger file saved, = more $. So you can ask all you want and will probably be ignore Simple. My screen capture default to PNG about 2MB. i convert to JPEG, and re-size to about 250k and look fine. One solution is to save as PNG, then run a Photoshop script to convert the entire directory of files to what you want.

May 10, 2012 7:58 PM in response to scoobydoo99

There may be a hidden setting for this somewhere in Preview's makeup that could be put into its preferences configuration to do this, but my guess is that this is not possible. Preview will by default save to the original file's format. If you are simply converting files you can set up an Automator workflow to do this with Preview, though I'm not sure there is a JPG quality option with an Automator workflow (can't find one).

Mar 15, 2014 11:15 AM in response to Topher Kessler

your guess is incorrect

the default save file format in preview is PNG regardless of what format file you open

if you open a jpeg and select and copy a portion of it and then save to clipboard and then save it as anew document, it will default to PNG

like the original poster i have been trying to get a satisfactory answer to this question and i believe there is simply no way to chnage the default image save format of preview

i hear you can do it for screenshots but i have tried and can't even do that sucessfully

Can I set Preview to default to .jpg and Best quality when saving?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.